Brown hairy crab

Edison

I just found this little fellow grazing on some polyps. He does not appear to be harming the polyps but he likes to walk over them and pick small bites from the rock.

I have never seen a crab like this nor did a Google search turn up anything.

Is he safe for my reef tank?

brownhairycrab.jpg

brownhairycrabcloseup.jpg

Edison

That does look like him for sure.
I tried several times to catch him but he's very wary of anything that gets close. I can probably chase him into a small piece of live rock and then either fish him out or break the rock apart until he's exposed enough for a capture.

Would he be ok in a refugium? Or should I bring him back to the LFS? There's one store in my area that will take any creature back.

Here's a close up of the little fellow.

brownhairycrabcloseup.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'd take him out when you get the chance - in the sump or off to the LFS with the little guy!

StirCrayzy

Fuge would be a great place for him ! then you can observe and not worry about yer corals gettin disturbed.
Good luck catchin him though. try a trap.

Edison

He looks nasty!!! We will name him meany mcmean! lol

Little Brown Hairy Crab has been renamed Meany McMean!

I'll work on catching him and once I do, he'll go into the acclimation box for a bit then once the fuge arrives, he'll be placed there.

Thanks much for the help!

-Ed

Edison

Yikes!
I just found him eating away at a trumpet frag. Not sure if the frag is destroyed or not. It looks like he ate away several of the section around the head. The frag is about 1/2" in diameter.

He certainly has earned his name.

aaromano

How about another candy cane frag:eek:lsmile: Seriously good luck catching him I've found patience and big pair of tweezers to work. just wait and grab him when you can

sompa

put a glass (made out of glass) with some shrimp in it and put in on the bottom of you tank by the rock. It will climb in there at night(dark) and then can't get back out due to having no traction on the glass

Edison

I Got Him!!

I just spotted him on a smallish piece of live rock that was towards the top of the tank. I reached in the tank and the crab retreated into one of the holes in the rock. The rock was removed from the tank and put in a bucket with some freshly made water. Now, I just have to lure him out of the rock and he'll be heading to the LFS.