Blue legged hermits? Will they eat all my hair algae or be worthless?

jpsika08

I hate hermits as they can become a nusiance quickly, why not consider green emerald crabs?, these are the cows of the reef tank

redneckgearhead

I don't mind hermits and as long as they aren't huge they don't prey on snails to bad I have a huge blue knuckle and two huge scarlets that don't reek havoc to bad. But if you have a hundred hermits you have to keep a TON of empty shells in your tank for them to "upgrade" to when needed.

Oh and buying animals to eat HA is so hit and miss and not really solving the problem.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would agree with the above.....i have about 6 in my tank and they do eat HA but the definitley don't mow it down. I think they can help maintain it but once it gets out of control, then you need like 100 of them......then they eat snails, switch shells all the time.....blah blah blah. Bottom line is (for me) a few are ok but any kind of high numbers begins to cause problems. Emeralds are good......and i also just picked up a sea hare to help (which he does a great job).......but i would not suggest a bunch of hermits to combat GHA.....there are other critters that are better.....and finding the root cause is best but I know it can be troubling!.

Good luck.

PIMPALA

I'm on the anti crab coalition.

although i do buy more crabs than the average reefer... but only to put in my mantis tank. LOL

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I like hermits and snails. You just have to accept the fact that hermits will eat snails when they are hungry. I also have emeralds in my FT's so I don't have bubble algae either.

BLADEYAMAHA

Thanks for the input guys, I think there is enough hair algae to keep them busy till rapture. My snails don't do anything significant, so they might become prey. I going to get them and they can always go to the refugiums later-IMO. I appreciate all the angles of views, thanks again.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You just have to accept the fact that hermits will eat snails when they are hungry.

+1 - be ready to replace your snails, Hermits are fun to watch... but non here, I don't want them eating my snails.

Love snails for cuc, a tank full of Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerite, Mexican Turbos, Margarita & Nassariu snails can eat as much or more algae than the hermits. Snails are algae eating machines...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you try a tank full of hermits, let us know how they do
1395.gif
one things for sure, they will eat something... or die

reeferman

they will eat it while its very short,once it gets long,not much will touch it.i use the little micro hermits along with snails.as said before,the micros wont eat the snails.they can get in spots the snails cant get to.

ChrisOaty

your lfs should have a sea hare. a few years back i had a little 20gal setup that i left to my brother's care for a few months while i went away for school. when i returned you couldn't see anything in there...everything survived but i doubt he did a single water change. anyway, i went and picked up a sea hare (mine was ugly but i've seen some pure jet black ones that look really cool) for about 15 bucks. the little 3 inch monster tore through all that hair algae in about 2 weeks. the guy at the lfs told me that hares aren't really pets but more of a tool for algae and that i'll probably wanna bring him back in a few weeks or he'll starve himself. gave me 1/2 of my 15 bucks back.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Dude let me know what you need. I'm going to order a bunch of hermies today (red or blue legged) - I can get you 50 for $38 plus shipping? I can also order you in a sea hare if you want one but I'd have to ship it to you right away since I don't have algae going on. Let me know quickly.