Bloated Nasa Tang

bluespotjawfish

I don't think he is out of the woods yet, but at least it is better and not worse. I really didn't think he would make it through the weekend.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Maybe it was a gas bubble in his swim bladder.

If it was a problem with his swim bladder, the fish would have abnormal swimming postures. Usually, they can't "right" themselves, and sometimes you'll find them wedging into rocks.

bluespotjawfish - have you seen the fish poop yet? How is the abdomen looking? Just for reference, here is some info for you: Internal infections. You might also think about getting a dewormer, in case worms are the problem. As examples, Prazi-pro is a praziquantel product that you can buy, and Ultra Cure PX contains praziquantel and metronidazole, too.

bluespotjawfish

Still haven't seen him poop (doesn't mean he isn't).

No abnormal swimming at all.

My lfs where I got him from treats there fish with Prazi-pro. So, he was treated with that before I brought him home.

The swelling has gone down a lot (maybe to the point of normal?). Seems more active, less just hanging out. His eating behavior to me is still not quite right. He goes towards food, sometimes takes it, sometimes doesn't. Which, for a new fish, doesn't bother me, but he NEVER takes nori, or other veggie based foods. Odd for a tang I believe.

Currently I am treating the tank with Melafix. A very mild treatment for bacterial infections, etc. Once my 30 gallon tank is available (tomorrow or Saturday), I can move him there and treat him with something stronger. I'm still puzzled as to what I should treat him with though. Last time I treated my tank with Maracyn 2, I killed all my fishies. I'm scared!

lcstorc

If he seems to be improving almost to the point of normal, I would continue doing what you are doing. I wouldn't move the fish since that alone can stress him out.
It is odd that he won't eat the nori. Have you tried rubberbanding it to a rock? It is a bit more like his natural food that way. Worth a shot anyway.

bluespotjawfish

Thanks for the idea Lynn, I'll give the rock a try. I have him and my Bluespot (who isn't eating either) isolated in the 30. The bloating is gone and both are acting fairly normal, but neither one of them is eating. Still haven't treated with anything 'cause I'm not sure what to treat with. Just doing large WC's everyday.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Won't eat the nori? thats odd. Where did you get it from? It's not toasted is it?
Have you tried to let it snow in the tank with mysis shrimp? The rock idea is a good one Lynn. It may seem more natural that way for the tang.
Just keep changing the nori out every day. When the tangs ready to eat he will.
You said you are doing large water changes every day. Be careful you don't send the tank into a cycle. Better to do small everyday.

DrHank

You may want to try soaking some nori in Selcon. I't can't hurt and might help if there's a partial bowel obstruction. If his condition seems to have improved, I'd probably leave the salinity right where it is (not go up or down) and continue to observe.

DrHank

You might also want to try some fresh red graciallia or ulva if you can get a hold of some. When I put either in the tank my purple goes after it like candy.

bluespotjawfish

I have ulva and feather calurpa in the fuge. I know my other tangs always preferred the red stuff over these when they had a choice.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Oh my! I'm sorry about the loss of your fish :(. I was hoping for good news, I'm really sorry.

Last time I treated my tank with Maracyn 2, I killed all my fishies. I'm scared!

I was gathering some information on Maracyn 2, and I haven't read any special recommendations to folks to be careful using it. Terry Bartelme, and others, recommend using Maracyn-2 anytime a bacterial infection is suspected. Most bacterial infections in marine fish are gram negative, so using Maracyn 2 is a good choice. If no improvements are noted, then switching to an antibiotic that treats gram positive bacteria is the next step. Terry Bartelme recommends treating with Maracyn 2 at double the dose recommended on the package every day for 7 days. He also says reduced salinity increases the effectiveness of Maracyn 2, as does a water change each day before adding the dose for the day. Lastly, try and use the saltwater version of Maracyn 2. It contains Vitamin B, which will help with digestion.

Sorry you didn't get an opportunity to try Maracyn 2, but I thought I'd pass on the information for you for future reference.