Biocube 14!

Rhodes19

That is awesome. Your tank is looking good!

My ammonia might be down to 0 tomorrow. It was .25 this morning--going from 4 to .25 is about 2 days is good yes?

What kind of shrimp are you getting for your tank?

It's heading in the right direction. Make sure you keep an eye on the nitrites and nitrates. They will be spiking next.

For shrimps I'm thinking peppermint for any aptasia I night have. The red shrimp are nice to watch. I'll be getting a pistol shrimp for my ywg.

tangerine3486

A bunch more coralline and algae growth since pictures.

temp: 80
Ammonia:between 0 and .25
Nitrate:20
pH:8.2
Nitrite: a very dark 1

tangerine3486

Sweet--sounds perfect. I think I may have reached the end of my questions somehow? Thanks! At least for now, until nitrites and ammonia hit zero and I do a water change.

tangerine3486

Good morning everyone,
So yesterday my water was:
pH: 8.2
temp: 80
salinity: 1.026
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

How does this sound? Good for snails? Anemone and a crab hitchikers have survived a week. Is it ready?

tangerine3486

Rearranged the rocks wooo! I will be happy with with this.
Righter side
IMG_9676.JPG

the not so different lefter side
IMG_9687.JPG

Whats up with this rock?
IMG_9691.JPG

there is even algae growing on the plants. Other than that, rocks seem to be blending into different colors! sweet!

Assuming the tank is final, I ended up with 15lbs of sand and about 13 lbs of rock.

Rhodes19

Nice rock work. Go ahead and add some CUC. Blue hermit crabs will help eat some of that green hair algae.

tangerine3486

Between two stores, I feel like I got the most expensive combination of snails and hermit crab, trying to get things cheaper at one store only to find they were more expensive and not feeling like driving back.

Anyway, I got 3 black turbo? snails, and 1 small cerith snail, and a hermit crab. After getting home I think it is red legged. So complete failure aside from the 3 first snails.

long pointless story short, I started getting the crew. I hope to finish it off with about 2 blue or red hermit crabs and 4 or so snails and maybe a peppermint shrimp, hopefully this week.

Rhodes19

Between two stores, I feel like I got the most expensive combination of snails and hermit crab, trying to get things cheaper at one store only to find they were more expensive and not feeling like driving back.

Anyway, I got 3 black turbo? snails, and 1 small cerith snail, and a hermit crab. After getting home I think it is red legged. So complete failure aside from the 3 first snails.

long pointless story short, I started getting the crew. I hope to finish it off with about 2 blue or red hermit crabs and 4 or so snails and maybe a peppermint shrimp, hopefully this week.

Well, on the bright side, you are off to a good start with the CUC. LFS can drive you nuts some times. Many have no clue about their live stock and how to care for them and some are professional and knowledgeable and are happy to answer all your questions. A lot of folks will buy on line from reparable sponsors on RS because they know they are getting a good deal and a good product.

tangerine3486

I keep looking at online things and I think they are awesome, but i can only find shiping for 30$ which I am not sure if that is way high or what.

Rhodes19

I keep looking at online things and I think they are awesome, but i can only find shiping for 30$ which I am not sure if that is way high or what.

Yeah, shipping can be a killer. LFS might be your best option financially speaking. The best thing to do is research what you want to get, get it, then go. It won't take long before you know more about this hobby than most lfs.

tangerine3486

So my CUC now consits of : 3 black turbos, 1 astrea, 2 nassarius, 1 some other snail, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 red leg hermit. ~20$.

Does anyone think this is a good size for 14 gal or should/can I stick with this?

Rhodes19

So my CUC now consits of : 3 black turbos, 1 astrea, 2 nassarius, 1 some other snail, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 red leg hermit. ~20$.

Does anyone think this is a good size for 14 gal or should/can I stick with this?

Sounds pretty good. Maybe a few more hermit crabs. I have about 10 snails and 10 hermits in my BC 14 and that seems to work well.

Rhodes19

haha sweet good. thanks

I have to leave my tank for a week :( so I will have led's on and blinds cracked. Thats good yeah?

I'd put a timer on the tank lights and have them come on automatically. That will help with coralline algae growth and give your CUC a day/night cycle. Sprinkle a little food in it before you go for the cuc to munch on as well.

tangerine3486

I'd put a timer on the tank lights and have them come on automatically. That will help with coralline algae growth and give your CUC a day/night cycle. Sprinkle a little food in it before you go for the cuc to munch on as well.

I put some food in there before I left. Snails jumped out of the sand to munch on it. It was pretty cool. Do you use pellets, flakes, or what?

IMG_9697.JPG

from friday. big rock in the middle is getting darker. But the front bottom left rock lost all of the red on it. Did something eat it?

Rhodes19

I feed flake and some frozen. At some point I will make my own frozen mush and feed that. I went back and looked at one of your earlier pictures and I think the red stuff on the bottom left rock was cyanobacteria. Its a good thing if its gone. It may have died off or one of the CUC may have eaten it. :)