Biocube 14!

molsen187

if it was cyano it could of just been part of the natural cycle of the tank. just keep an eye on how much nutriets you have as this will lead to more of it. i had a big battle with it in my tank at the early going. the tank looks good. the clean up crew sounds good just keep an eye on the algea,if it seems like the algae is growing faster than the cuc can eat it add some more until there is a good balance. i think its best to add a little at a time so they don't starve.

tangerine3486

I feed flake and some frozen. At some point I will make my own frozen mush and feed that. I went back and looked at one of your earlier pictures and I think the red stuff on the bottom left rock was cyanobacteria. Its a good thing if its gone. It may have died off or one of the CUC may have eaten it. :)

Thanks for checking! I liked the red but if it is bad I will deal. Do you think most of the other purplly stuff on the other rocks is bad?

molsen187 said:
it was cyano it could of just been part of the natural cycle of the tank. just keep an eye on how much nutriets you have as this will lead to more of it. i had a big battle with it in my tank at the early going. the tank looks good. the clean up crew sounds good just keep an eye on the algea,if it seems like the algae is growing faster than the cuc can eat it add some more until there is a good balance. i think its best to add a little at a time so they don't starve

Thanks. How do I check on the nutrient level? Just be careful of what I add in?

Rhodes19

Thanks for checking! I liked the red but if it is bad I will deal. Do you think most of the other purplly stuff on the other rocks is bad?

Thanks. How do I check on the nutrient level? Just be careful of what I add in?

The purple stuff is coralline algae and its good stuff. Once it takes off, you will have to scrape it off the glass and any power heads in the tank.

Best way to check and see what your nutrient levels are doing is to test for nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates. If they are elevated then your nutrient levels are high. HTH

molsen187

+1 to what rhodes19 said. if your levels are high you have high nutrients. it most likely would come from overfeeding or using tap water. i used to feed my fish every 3 days and they were fine. of course some fish need to be fed more than that so you would have to research each individual fish.

alirons

Hey Tangerine,Where are you at in maryland?I am in Denton on the eastern shore.You would be very pleased with Pacific East Aquaculture.They are in the sponsor section on this site.Great place to go for anything you need.
Very good prices and very nice people.Dr. Mac is the best and will answer any questions you may have.Hope you can get over there.Thanks AL

Last edited:

tangerine3486

Thanks everyone. I will check my nutrients when I get back. I miss my tank so much!:tears:

alirons-I am right outside Baltimore, south side. If I am over there I will check it out. I am not always a fan of a few of the lfs s around me. Heck I might go over there anyway if I cant find what I need around me.

alirons

It is worth the drive.They are open from 11-5 Everyday but sunday.
They just added alot of stuff this week.Check their site out.Good luck. AL

tangerine3486

Home at last! What a change!

IMG_9850.JPG

There are some specs of purple and pink on the rocks.

IMG_9869.JPG

I like that picture. Took forever to get it the way I wanted and took it at f/16. It also brought in the most life. There is some weird thing on the bottom, and I still have no clue about that yellow thing. A bunch of green growth. I like my clam!!!

For the water, pH at 8, Ammonia and Nitrite at 0, and Nitrate at about 5.

So as for the livestock, 1 turbo and 1 nassarius died, and the cerith keeps ending up on his back. The limpet/chiton is pretty big now and going around on the glass. Also, I apparently have two (not one) hitchiker crabs. I think they are red mithrax crabs. I will snap a picture next time the big one is out. He is bigger so he cant hide from me so much! I have found 2 crab moltings, from a red mithrax and a blue leg hermit. And finally, there are a whole lot of these very tiny white things floating around and crawling around on the glass and sand. Are they common enough for someone to know what they are with that lame description?

It is worth the drive.They are open from 11-5 Everyday but sunday.
They just added alot of stuff this week.Check their site out.Good luck. AL
I checked out the website and wow. It is a two hour drive and a still might go, especially if I can make a beach trip out of it. Thanks!!

alirons

It is not even a 1/4 mile off route 50.I went yesterday and got a bunch of stuff.I started a 12 gallon for my 8 year old.I bought a pair of doni's picasso's
and my wife did not want to get rid of other pair of clowns.So,i just started another tank.Those 2 clowns have cost me so much extra money.My son really loves the tank though.He knows more then you would think.I was going all the way over to glen burnie to get all my stuff till i found this place.I am only 40 minutes away.Tank looks good and keep up the good work. AL

tangerine3486

actinic light is not coming on. :( as of this morning

EDIT: I switched the bulbs and the ballasts and confirmed imo that it is the light itself. Does oceanic give out replacements of these or is this a self buy?

Last edited:

Rhodes19

actinic light is not coming on. :( as of this morning

EDIT: I switched the bulbs and the ballasts and confirmed imo that it is the light itself. Does oceanic give out replacements of these or is this a self buy?

They might but it will be quicker to buy one from a lfs. :(

Rhodes19

Would doing a 20-30% water change on friday and adding fish saturday be too early??? :)

You should be getting close. If your water parameters are good, you could add a fish. Give it several weeks for the system to acclimate and then you can add another. Just keep an eye on the parameters.

tangerine3486

Are you going to keep one percula or a pair? If you get a pair you might want to add them at the same time so they pair and don't get into turf battles. Don't forget to post some pictures. :)

Oh I was going to get a pair!! I will totally be posting pictures!!

Last edited: