Biocube 14!

tangerine3486

I did a 50% water change in case I get fish (2 ocellaris ) over the next few days (hopefully). Will check water parameters before I go. Need to find when me and my sweetie can set aside a few hours.

As for the rest of the tank, I got some snails to complete the clean up crew from reefcleaners.org. Needed more nassarius snails to mess with the sand and cerith to do the sand and glass. Asked and read around and I will not get an anemone and will get a coral like a hammer, frogspawn, or torch. No other plans as of now.

Jay

Rhodes19

I did a 50% water change in case I get fish (2 ocellaris ) over the next few days (hopefully). Will check water parameters before I go. Need to find when me and my sweetie can set aside a few hours.

As for the rest of the tank, I got some snails to complete the clean up crew from reefcleaners.org. Needed more nassarius snails to mess with the sand and cerith to do the sand and glass. Asked and read around and I will not get an anemone and will get a coral like a hammer, frogspawn, or torch. No other plans as of now.

Jay

IMHO, not getting an anemone is a good choice. I know folks do it with some success but I think the tank is way too small. Any little change in a small tank's water can be disastrous and even the smallest of anemones will out grow the tank quickly. Hammer, frogspawn, or torches I think would be good choices. :)

tangerine3486

WOO!! So the LFS had these listed as "Baby clown" and after asking 4 times on if they are percula or ocellaris, and I got 2 I dont know, 1 ocellaris, and 1 "they are whatever you want them to be". I'm thinking I would have had better luck at petco. Well, I got two anyway. One seems to be in good health and one is less. He doesnt have a nice orange and is skinny.

So are these perculas? Thats what they look like, but I am hoping for ocellaris. More hoping that they are the same.
IMG_9900.JPG

Rhodes19

WOO!! So the LFS had these listed as "Baby clown" and after asking 4 times on if they are percula or ocellaris, and I got 2 I dont know, 1 ocellaris, and 1 "they are whatever you want them to be". I'm thinking I would have had better luck at petco. Well, I got two anyway. One seems to be in good health and one is less. He doesnt have a nice orange and is skinny.

So are these perculas? Thats what they look like, but I am hoping for ocellaris. More hoping that they are the same.
IMG_9900.JPG

I don't think I like your lfs. They should know exactly what they are, at least some one who works there should. I'm no expert but the first one looks like an ocellaris but the one in back is hard to tell. It may be a percula. There is a difference between the 2. Keep an eye on both of them especially the sick one. Are they both eating? Feed a variety of foods and see if you can fatten the skinny one up. If the sickly one does not get better in the next couple of days, go to the fish disease section and post there for help.

tangerine3486

I don't think I like your lfs. They should know exactly what they are, at least some one who works there should. I'm no expert but the first one looks like an ocellaris but the one in back is hard to tell. It may be a percula. There is a difference between the 2. Keep an eye on both of them especially the sick one. Are they both eating? Feed a variety of foods and see if you can fatten the skinny one up. If the sickly one does not get better in the next couple of days, go to the fish disease section and post there for help.

I dont think I like them either! They were both eating yesterday but the sickly one is not this morning. He is definitely not acting like the other guy. I think I am going to try to return them today for a full refund and get them somewhere else. Then I can hopefully be sure I am getting what I want.

tangerine3486

So I called and I will be able to swap them out with ocellaris (that they are sure about) when they get them in. I just have to keep them healthy till then.

Rhodes19

So I called and I will be able to swap them out with ocellaris (that they are sure about) when they get them in. I just have to keep them healthy till then.

I'd bring them back now and get store credit. No sense in keeping them if the sick one might die on you. Please take this in the nature that it is given, but don't buy any fish, coral, or invert that is looking sickly, sluggish, disoriented or swimming funny. Chances are they are not going to make it and you will saddened at their death and cost you some $$$. Chances are also good that what ever is killing them will spread to the other fish. The impulse for us to want to bring things home is strong, but you will be better served if you can fight it off and wait for the healthy ones to come in. You will be happier in the long run and will not loose as much $$$. I learned this the hard way when my BC 14 crashed because I put a sickly clown (ich). Killed all the other fish and then I had to wait 8 weeks before it was safe to put fish back in.

tangerine3486

I'd bring them back now and get store credit. No sense in keeping them if the sick one might die on you. Please take this in the nature that it is given, but don't buy any fish, coral, or invert that is looking sickly, sluggish, disoriented or swimming funny. Chances are they are not going to make it and you will saddened at their death and cost you some $$$. Chances are also good that what ever is killing them will spread to the other fish. The impulse for us to want to bring things home is strong, but you will be better served if you can fight it off and wait for the healthy ones to come in. You will be happier in the long run and will not loose as much $$$. I learned this the hard way when my BC 14 crashed because I put a sickly clown (ich). Killed all the other fish and then I had to wait 8 weeks before it was safe to put fish back in.

I cant take them back today, cant make it to the store. Fortunately the fish is eating now...I cant say much if he looks better. Yeah, next time I will definitely pay way more attention to how anything is doing before I buy. I will be looking for more options of places. That stinks about your tank...thanks for the words of wisdom. Hopefully this ends well.

So as you might have seen (Rhodes19) I got my reefcleaners pack! 4 nassarius, 2 dwarf cerith, 2 flordia cerith, and a lot of juvenile flordia ceriths. I ordered 4 but got a lot. they are small but it should equilibrate.

tangerine3486

IMG_0016.JPG

new FTS. Fish are behind rocks. They like the cavern/crevice. Color is returning to rocks. Hopefully it is good. It might be too green for it to be good. Hopefully it is not the cyano bacteria.
IMG_0022.JPG

Fish also like to come out and play.

Rhodes19

So as you might have seen (Rhodes19) I got my reefcleaners pack! 4 nassarius, 2 dwarf cerith, 2 flordia cerith, and a lot of juvenile flordia ceriths. I ordered 4 but got a lot. they are small but it should equilibrate.

Yeah, they do a great job. I got my order in Friday. Over 530 snails, some red gacillias (sp?) macro algae, and some mangroves. Sweet. :)

Rhodes19

Rhodes19, when you took out the bioballs, did you do anything with the splashing of the water down that chamber?

Yea, what I did was add more water to raise the level to just an inch or so below the top of the wall and put in some filter floss. Works great. Now if I hear water falls, its usually needs more water or the floss needs to be replaced. :)

tangerine3486

Operation return fish to store: complete. Thanks for the help! I will be shopping around for the next week or so. Will be doing tank stuff after studying tonight.
Jay