Back in hobby after 25 years.

BryanD

97ae265b40ef34ccd07f2b3a190e9fb0.jpg
f5ced455bff12eac63609d837ae488c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Looking good nice scape :) Lots of room for corals :) What type are you ging to have ?Softies , LPS or SPS ?

BryanD

For now. Easy ones until I put in leds. Amazing how much life is in the tank. Tentacles everywhere from same to rocks.

BTW the crab monster makes cracking sounds a LOT. I thought was snails bumping the glass but hes dug a big nest in the sand at the bottom of the center web type rock and seems to patrol the back of tank clacking his claws. I will try and catch it to remove but hes so shy i dont know if possible.

Last edited:

Desmond

Its not a mantis shrimp is it ? I know they make big cracking sounds and pack a big punch and can kill fish easily.

Desmond

you could make a bottle trap to try and get him :) Someone posted a picture on my thread how to make it.

BryanD

Well tore the rock apart and couldn't find it. So ignoring it for now.
64495f2116aa6830f89c23d3deaab64b.jpg

BryanD

Mistress of Finance didn't like the landscape so took opportunity
to toss the rock in which Mr Crab lives, into the sump. Here is the new scape. Color isnt great in these photos. The front right rock is bright blue and rest is purple or red coraline.
b7caee218358805851bd085837ceb1ed.jpg
2649392049d2218e7bd95924e87d9afb.jpg
292e2d42954924250b47a3d6c0ad5d80.jpg

Last edited:

MarkD

Tank looks good Bryan, I'm just getting back into the hobby as well from about 25byrs ago but just had fish back then.
I had two 55 gal saltwater with under gravel filters and an ehiem canister filter.

I just started up my rsm 130D and am in the process of cycling (about 9 days).
Started with dry sand, dry Marco rock because of the fear of bag hh. I do like the part about discovering néw things from the live rock but didn't want to take the chance.
Keep wondering if I should add one piece of live to help seed things, anyway congrats and nice start.

BryanD

Tank looks good Bryan, I'm just getting back into the hobby as well from about 25byrs ago but just had fish back then.
I had two 55 gal saltwater with under gravel filters and an ehiem canister filter.

I just started up my rsm 130D and am in the process of cycling (about 9 days).
Started with dry sand, dry Marco rock because of the fear of bag hh. I do like the part about discovering néw things from the live rock but didn't want to take the chance.
Keep wondering if I should add one piece of live to help seed things, anyway congrats and nice start.

HHikers are part of the fun. I love all the little "bugs" you find. Now idea what all of it is but i find myself sitting there staring at stuff. Only possible bad thing i found was a crab and hes in my sump now, i think. He is like a ninja thou so who knows.

Since the live rock is your filter its much faster to cycle.

Do yourself a favor and setup a QT so you dont end up with a fishless fishtank like mine for 12 weeks.

MarkD

Yes, kind of bummed now about not finding critters. I actually have a JBJ 28 gal nano I've been trying to decide what to do with so I may set up as a QT.

I need to test par today, just got home and saw my tunze 3155 ATO got delivered. BRS had a door buster thanksgiving night for $146, everywhere else was at least $200

MarkD

Well, just tested and doesn't look right to me but any help would be appreciated. This is day ten, it was set up and shrimp added on 11-21-15

Temp= 78.2
Salinity= 1.026
PH= 8.0
Ammonia= 2.0 (never been over 3.5 yet)
Nitrite= 3.0
Nitrate= 5.0 (looks like 5 on API test kit) it's definitely not yellow (0)

I've been expecting to see ammonia rise then drop to zero, followed by nitrite rising and falling to zero then nitrate rising.

Is there something I should be doing or just let it run it's coarse?

Thanks

MarkD

Cycle is happening Mark, maybe halfway there if I had to guess. You're on the right track.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if looked ok. I assumed ammonia would get higher before I saw nitrite and didn't think I would see nitrate until ammonia and nitrite were gone.
Thanks again