Anyone need anything made out of pyrex?

BigJay

I got you Frankie.

I'd like you to see a side by side comparison of what the glass ones look like next to a ceramic one. See if your customers buying your frags won't get it a kick out of it. Remember sandblasted or etched glass tends to look clear when wet.

IMG_0718.jpg

close up

IMG_0717.jpg

edit- lol you can see ceramics pic up macro algae pretty good too... I know what your talking about though Frankie. :)

ryanb91

Got your dropper today and it rocks. Thanks Jay
BTW no one going to break that bad boy in shipping...lol Nice packaging

Hey Jay!
Droppers work great but would you know anywhere to get a better fitting suction part? (lol for lack of a better word)

Also I have some new ideas that you might want to listen to -LMK your email addy.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I got you Frankie.

I'd like you to see a side by side comparison of what the glass ones look like next to a ceramic one. See if your customers buying your frags won't get it a kick out of it. Remember sandblasted or etched glass tends to look clear when wet.

IMG_0718.jpg

close up

IMG_0717.jpg

edit- lol you can see ceramics pic up macro algae pretty good too... I know what your talking about though Frankie. :)
That is just the problem I am having. It would be great if it can stay that clean in my frag tank. I am excited about it now. Thanks for the pictures Jay :)

BigJay

Send me a picture of your dropper. With and without the bulb on. Let me see whats going on. The bulbs should fit very tightly. Matter of fact its somewhat of a struggle to put it on. If somethings not right I'll make it right :) .
Pm'ing my email.

Hey Jay!
Droppers work great but would you know anywhere to get a better fitting suction part? (lol for lack of a better word)

Also I have some new ideas that you might want to listen to -LMK your email addy.

BigJay

just a heads up. I am trying to find a good system for the droppers to mount a clip to the wall and have a drip cup. I've spent about 20 hours researching this last week and haven't nailed down a perfect solution but its coming.
In the meantime for all that have a dropper these appear to work. Duck Grip-it Grabbers at OfficeMax . I'd use two and mount it horizontally not vertically so any water doesn't drip on your floor. Just put two on the dropper then stick it to the wall. Wish I could find an affordable version of these to include with the droppers.. they are super gentle on the glass and very easy to press the dropper in. I'm not responsible for anyone using these and having a dropper fall. Just trying to help out.

ShootMe

I think it would be neat to have some type of custom test tubes. I have no idea what they would look like, just something I think would be cool. :happywalk

Royalscott

My pod house arrived today and we all love it!!

If anyone has any reservations about buying anything from Jay, let me say that the pod house is awesome, shipping was quick, and the packing job was excellent with the pod house extremely well protected!

It is currently in the Solana with chaeto and I dumped a bottle of Tigger Pods into it. Is there such a thing as a too fat Mandarin LOL?

BigJay

You don't know how many hours I've spent staring at skimmers trying to think of how I could make one entirely from pyrex.
Are you looking for the foam cup on top or just an overflow cup? If your talking about the foam cup I'd need to look at a picture of it. The connection point is the hold up on me building them entirely from glass. I can do a venturi model easily but skimmers using a pump are another story. Lemme know.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Can Pyrex be drilled? IF so then it might be possible to build one. Any advice I could offer Jay let me know. I am very familiar with most skimmer designs out there. I would recommend something like the KZ skimmer personally. The cone shape seems to be very efficient.

Frankie

RS STAFF
What do you want a Kalk Stirrer for?! Go zeo! :D
But on a more realistic note, I would copy a magnetic Kalk reactor. It would be easiest and would work great with a glass bottom. That is the problem with acrylic magnetic ones. The bottoms wear out over long term.
As for Ca++ reactors, I really like the one I built. It is a Barr dual chamber replica.Austin Oceans Home Page is the place to go look at all this stuff. Here is the Kalk reactor Austin Oceans - Kalk Reactors

BigJay

cool going to investigate. Thats the huge plus with pyrex. It doesn't wear out and its extremely chemical resistant , the reason why its used in labratories, so it doesn't break down either.
I've read the zeo manual 10x's since you sent me the link. Once I have a firm grasp on it and calculate the costs I may try it. Your results are definetly worthy of note.

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf
There it is. I still have a long way to go still before I can call my system a zeo system. It can take up to a year before I really see what I am shooting for.
Back to the topic at hand, I would like to try that rack out when you have time. I would be more then happy helping you tweak it if needed at all. If It works out I have a nice size order for you.

BigJay

lol I meant to say since you sent me the link. I printed it out that night. I've been thinking of using a few of the products that are in there that state specificly that anyone can use them even if not using the system.
Give me the link to where your buying the components though. Thats what I really need to start factoring.

BigJay

thats ALOT cheaper then I expected it to be. I usually spend a good deal amount of time with my tank every day , but it seems the zeovit system is pretty stringent that daily maintenence is a must. Then again making up 1g of kalk a day takes probably the same amount of time.
How long did it take you to get the hang of it? How much time each day do you spend adding and cleaning the components? Did you use one of those reactors or make your own?

EESh i take that back.. Just looked at a few of the other components.. wow thats definetly not cheap.