Anyone need anything made out of pyrex?

BigJay

I sure am. Also my glass products will likely be appearing in select LFS's and online retaliers within the next month. :thumbup:

micromount

Received my 9mm & 12mm glass feeders in the last week. Sure beats the plastic basters. Now I dont have food dripping out all over the place.
Many thanks,
Dave

micromount

Received my 9mm & 12mm glass feeders in the last week. Sure beats the plastic basters. Now I don't have food dripping out all over the place.
Many thanks,
Dave

BigJay

glad to hear!

I have a new frag rack system I'll be introducing tonight or tommorrow. I made one last night but dropped it in the processing of transferring in the kiln. Unfortunatly until pyrex has been annealed its much easier to break. :( . Anyhow I'll give the rundown.
Basically I have one which will consist of a single pole that can be buried into a substrate and will stick up like a flag pole. On which I am making female ended frag plugs that fig snuggly on top. This will be an alternative to people who want to grow a frag out but don't want a frag tray in the display.
Calling them female is actually not 100% correct. The new glass frag plugs are actually hermaphroditic and will work very well with standard frag grating.
The frag rack will also accept these female style frag plugs and will allow you to position 12 frags in a 6" x 6" area. Its uber sweet. Best part of this system is accept for the plug itself which is etched so corals have something to grab on to the rest is extremely clear. Also the rack will not impede flow or take up a lot of space. I am very excited about this.
I'll also be trying to introduce the same wrack system with female ends for those of you who want the option of continuing to use ceramic plugs. I'll also be introducing a "coupling" or female adapter to go over the standard frag rack plugs to accept standard ceramic frag disks.
Thanks to working closely with Ryan (Zapconj) we have almost finallized pyrex grow out disks to accept any style frag disks.The earlier prodotypes can be seen in Zapconj 's chronicle. These should allow for fragging things like zoas to be extremely easy. While the zoas can attach and grow well against the etched glass , sliding a razor blade underneath them to remove them is extremely easy. Much easier then rock.

BigJay

well heres an early prototype picture of the new frag rack. This will be the final design. But the size will be tweaked slightly to line up the middle row and give a little more space on the side with 4 pegs. I won't be able to finalize pricing on these units for a few more days.
Come on fraggers let me hear your feedback. How do you feel about the way this system looks? Beyond the spacing issue in the photo. Don't not post in fear of saying something negative. Out of negatives can come positives!

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

yungreefer2410

it looks good except for you would have to use those frags plugs with holes in them or else it wouldn't work (or that is part of your evil scheme :D)

BigJay

lol . No . My disks are hemaphroditic (male and female) so they will work anywhere. I can make an adapter of glass that will allow you to use a disk from someone else and still use the holder. But yeah this is an entirely new system. I don't dislike ceramic plugs but I like glass ones better. I also don't expect to replace ceramic plugs as the cost for them is undeniably cheaper(allthough frag stations won't be).
When dealing with things like zoos the glass system is so much easier.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I sure am. Also my glass products will likely be appearing in select LFS's and online retaliers within the next month. :thumbup:
This is great news Jay! I am happy for you.
That fragging system is awesome man. I could use that easy with SPS. I am curious about algae growth on the plugs and might want to buy a set to try out. Algae is one of the main issues with getting sps to encrust on a plug.

BigJay

allright Frankie , you can be one of my testers on this product. I always like to get people I can trust and forum members do too, to review them and see what changes need to be made. I'm making up 2 units in the next couple days. One is going out to Ryan (Zapconj) and I'll send you the other. Take a look over it and see what you think should be changed, what works and what doesn't .
What do you mean by algae being one of the main issues? Are you referring to coraline? If so coraline doesnt' discriminate and grows readily on glass especially etched. But we can also season the glass plugs with aragonite.

dianezoo

Nothing to do with my aqarium, but do you do any art pieces. My wife and I love Chihuli, and go all over to see his work exhibited. If you could do something that is similar to his work, but still original and your own, I would be very interested. It looks like a pretty cool hobby. I'm a custom metal worker, too bad metal and reefs don't work so well together.
bill

You guys could work out some interesting art swaps:cool:

Frankie

RS STAFF
No I was talking about macro algae like HA. That does inhibit Corals from encrusting and grows well on translucent materials. I would be more then happy to test it out for you though. Shoot, if the flow around them is as good as I think it should be I just might get you to sell me enough to cover my 25"x47" foot print frag tank. Very ingenious build if I may say so :thumbup:

faust

okay jay, if you like this idea. i get to be the tester. take your existing frag station , connect 2 J's to it so it can hang over the edge of the tank. or you could make a straight line of pegs with the j's to hang over the egde of the tank