Anemone Club!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Victor, I didn't know that Carpets would eat fish too. :dunno:

Here's a photo of mine after he ate a 5" Trigger, you can just barely make out the the mouth of the Blue Throat in the photo :chainsaw:

141_4111.jpg

i have never had a carpet or a RBA and since my upgrade of light have been thinking about buying one or the other. i just wanted to know if anyone has trouble with thier anenomes constantly moving stinging and killing corals or eating fish?

The sting from the BTA's isn't very potent so unless the fish is weak and dieing they won't eat them but the Carpet on the other hand is very agressive with a very potent sting and will eat your fish.

BarbMazz

Wow! Sorry for your loss! Did you see it happen? How does the anemone catch the fish? Wait for the fish to get to close and then snatch it up? How big is the anemone?

Sorry for all the questions, but that is pretty remarkable! :bouncebox

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow! Sorry for your loss! Did you see it happen? How does the anemone catch the fish? Wait for the fish to get to close and then snatch it up? How big is the anemone?

Sorry for all the questions, but that is pretty remarkable! :bouncebox

It happened during the night so I didn't see it but immediately suspected the Anemone. The tentacles have a very potent sting so if the fish gets too close and it happens to touch the Anemone the fish will become disabled and an easy snack !

Here's a photo of what the fish looked like.

139_3965.jpg

BarbMazz

What a beautiful fish.. you must've been very upset!!

Yuck! Can you imagine?! Does the anemone purposefully sting, or is does it happen if something just brushes up against it?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What a beautiful fish.. you must've been very upset!!

Yuck! Can you imagine?! Does the anemone purposefully sting, or is does it happen if something just brushes up against it?

Yes I was and eventually removed the Anemone. These Anemones are active hunters and have a way of knowing when a fish is close based on my experience.

BarbMazz

I can't blame you for that! Those carpets are so beautiful, but that's just too high a price to pay, imo. Have you gotten another anemone of a different type?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I've had so many hosting Anemones over the years but since my RBTA was chewed up by a ph I decided not to keep them anymore. They just get too big and when they move around it can be a real PITA with a tank full of corals.

BrianCM

Thanks guys for the comments. It took me a long time to get it that way. i rescued it from a fellow reefer who got sick of it moving around so he threw it in his sump with NO light! It took me about 5 months to noticed he did this. SO I took it home when it had only 1-2 tentacles left.

tbittner

Wow Robert! Unbelievable! And when I think of triggers, I think of killers. Amazing to see one of them being eaten. Those carpets grow HUGE too. Is it Vicki who has a big one in her tank?

Brazo Brain! And awesome job in rescuing it and nursing it back to healthy. It looks very happy and HUGE!

Craig Manoukian

Robert, thanks! I was tring to remember who posted a picture of a carpet snacking. Couldn't remember if it was you or woodstock or....expensive anemone meal, eh?

Tru2nr

hey im part of this club now...not sure what color this BTA is gonna be its suposed to be green this is day 3 of it being in my tank
DSCN1206.jpg