And it starts... 150g in-wall

JJB103

My 150g tall 48"x24"x30" and my 55g refugium/sump
image_zps7b19e9de.jpg

This is the front view of the wall. As you can see, I have a full room behind it to store ALL my equipment.:dance:
image_zpsb9dd1305.jpg

This is the backside of that wall
image_zps8794f6a3.jpg

JJB103

I'm a huge DIY guy so my goal is to do this with the best equipment I can get for dirt cheap prices. New or used.

JJB103

Here is the new progress

Got the tank drilled for two 1" bulkheads. It will have an internal overflow box.

Got my RO/DI unit and a mag drive 9.5 return from a fellow reefer.

Choff

Sweet build! Looking forward to following.

Question, how are you going to do WC and are you going to set up an ato?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

JJB103

Sweet build! Looking forward to following.

Question, how are you going to do WC and are you going to set up an ato?

Sent using Tapatalk 2
I will have 2 -40 gallon Rubbermaid containers. One for fresh and one for salt. Not sure about my plans for plumbing on a water change station yet. I will absolutely have an ATO. I ran without one for a while and I'm not disciplined enough to remember to top it off every day at the same time. My tank did so much better with an ATO.

JJB103

Some of you may have read my other thread

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/85092-leak-test-gone-horribly-wrong.html

But I have replaced the glass myself. I had my brother help with the process. We cut the silicone under the bottom plastic frame and removed it. Once the glass piece was removed I spent a good hour scraping and cleaning the edges until perfectly clean. I put a bead of silicone around the entire bottom edge. We placed the piece of glass directly on top of the silicone then immediately installed the plastic frame. The silicone oozed out all edges and I will cut it off later. We flipped the tank over onto its bottom and while the silicone was still wet, I put another bead on all the inside edges. Then ran my finger down the edges and focused more silicone in the corners. The reason I did all this and flipped the tank while the silicone was wet is because I wanted the silicone to all be one continuous piece. Here are some pictures

Removing the bottom frame was easy, but removing the glass was not. I ended up having to shatter it into small pieces.

This is with the new glass bottom installed

JJB103

Today, after letting the tank cure for 2 days, I did a leak test. So far so good. No leaks and no breaks. Cross my fingers. I'm going to let it sit overnight in the garage. My wife said if I did another leak test while in the house she would divorce me . Here are some pics of it full of water and with the bulkheads in. There will be an internal overflow box around the bulkheads. On order from BRS.

Here is my stand now that I have reinforced it. I brought the tank back into the wall another 2 inches and re-leveled it. I added a half inch piece of styrofoam and a 3/4" piece of MDF to the top and a piece of MDF to the bottom. The styrofoam should offset any tiny imperfections in the stand.

JJB103

Here are some updates. I know this is a very slow progress, but money doesn't come in as quick as I would like . The plumbing and saltwater mixing/water change station is complete. There are a few things I would do different, but it works. Let me know what you think.