Amazing SPS for free!!!

jjohnson3

I looks like algae, but then again, it looks like a birds nest. I like the birds nest looking SPS algae or whatever it is! Lol. A freebie is a freebie! Especially when its pretty, and free!!!!

RSM2008

Re: I need to buy a MACRO lens

Hi everyone. I tried my digital camera on MACRO and my SLR 35mm with no luck. I am trying to borrow a friends camera this weekend.
Here are more shots. I can only post 50k pics here so larger versions are in my gallery in my profile.

RSM2008

Re: Close as I can get... for now!

SPScu1.jpg

SPScu2.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Break a piece of and tell us how it was. (Did it snap or bend?) Look forward to the macros~

RSM2008

Re: I will break off a piece

That will be a challenge as the branches are the size of needles. They are a constant size from base to tip and don't taper the way an algae would. More SPS proof.

SPScu2.jpg

dynamite

Im pretty sure it is a pink birdnest my LFS has one and you can actually tell by just searching in google/images pink birdnest. Good Luck :dryer:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That will be a challenge as the branches are the size of needles.

Beautiful piece !
Although the Seriotopora h. has thin branches they are not that thin, I agree with Heinz and say algae !

hma

I knew that I this kind of algae already once had maintained, today I found a VIDEO. The algae on the left in the first sequence of the video is identical to my opinion.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Not the greatest video to be conclusive IMO. The red algae is barely visible on the left, and difficult to see much structure.

RSM2008

Re: Fragging this weekend...

We'll thank you for your comments.
I am going to snip a branch off and frag it.
Can someone tell me how to attach it? I have argonite disks that I use to "frag" my pulsing xenias. What do I use to stick the branch into?

Varga

Just a guess. What you guys think?

Tubular Thicket Algae
Galaxaura sp.
Size: 4 to 6 in. (10 to 15 cm) Depth: 3-40 ft. (1-12 m)
Distribution: Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida

tubularthicketalgae2.jpg

Varga

Maybe not, does look like it though.

Have you guys noticed RSM's coral has white tips/new growth? Just like some SPS.

Luukosian

From the picture it looks like the exact same growth pattern. The thicket algae in the picture kind of looks like it has hollow tips though, is that just me?