Amazing damsel still living ! 2 week tank cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJK

I started my tank, all the wrong way's, tap water, water temp going up/down (heaters), toss sand in tank turning it milky, cycled 2 weeks, being the impatient person I am, I bought a blue damsel monday afternoon, along with some hermit crabs. Told LFS if fish dies, I know tank is not cycled.

I add my tank water to bag water for adjustment (LFS advice), then put fish in tank with bag, after awhile, fish came out on it's own, at first fish was in shock ! hardly swimming around, when I was going to bed, I was worried cause fish was hardly swimming, I wake up today, later in the morning, damsel is swimming all over tank, and still swimming along. I'm relieved :thumbup:

I've never gone by guidelines. My freshwater fish alway's did fine, a few day's after starting new tank. So, I figure saltwater fish would do fine too. Am I impatient or what. I'm sure I'm not the only one that couldn't wait 4-6 weeks for tank cycle.

catran

Sorry, not many people advocate using live fish when cycling a tank. That's a pretty antiquated way of doing it. It's cruel and torture to the fish, if they live....

AJK

Hi Catran,
Sorry, I'm just an honest person, and enjoy sharing progress. I'm not encouraging others to do the same, just sharing my own experience. I'm sure if I go about it the right way, fish has higher chance of a long life, but fish die in cycled tanks too. So far fish looks healthy, swimming around :)

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 to Cat.

AJK, you'll probably find more help from others, if you adjust your attitude toward the life you take charge of.

catran

Yeah, fish do die in cycled tanks. I know because I see the desperate posts in here begging for someone to help them save thier poor sick fish. They spend tons of money and go through a lot of trouble and worry in order to keep the life they've taken into their tanks. The point is, they haven't put the fish in jeopardy on purpose. You put the fish in there with the understanding that the tak may not be cycled. "Told LFS if fish dies, I know tank is not cycled" -just not a good attitude IMO.
Maybe you don't understand that your fish are suffering ammonia and nitrite poisoning, which amounts to chemical burns, mostly internal, which they will never heal from. If they survive. The cycling can be done with a raw shrimp, so why hurt a fish? Sorry, I just don't get it.

AJK

Hi Steve your probably right, when it comes to this forum :) But, I am not here to follow a cult. I'm here to share experiences of raising fish, good or bad. My methods may not be the best methods, but human kind would have never step foot on the moon, if they did not explore. Not every fish hobbyist has the funds or knowledge to do everything exactly according to guidelines, but that does not mean they cannot enjoy the pleasures of fish tanks. Peace friend.

AJK

You think that a fish surviving one night is "progress"?

Just wondering.

Yes, I do :) and each night afterwards. I mean honestly, people put fish in well established tanks, that die within the hour. We all live/learn from experience. This is my first saltwater, so if mistakes are made, mistakes can be corrected.

PIMPALA

i dont think he cared about "starting a cycle"... he just wanted to see a fish in his tank.

why didnt you get some corals while you were there? maybe an anemone? or a nice clam? I bet your next fish will be a mandarin goby. they are very pretty, and are often put into new tanks with people that have the same attitude as you.

steved13

PREMIUM
Hi Steve your probably right, when it comes to this forum :) But, I am not here to follow a cult. I'm here to share experiences of raising fish, good or bad. My methods may not be the best methods, but human kind would have never step foot on the moon, if they did not explore. Not every fish hobbyist has the funds or knowledge to do everything exactly according to guidelines, but that does not mean they cannot enjoy the pleasures of fish tanks. Peace friend.

It has nothing to do with a "cult".

It's an online community of responsible hobbiests. Most of whom understand their hobby invloves living beings and there is an inherent responsibility that comes with that. A callous attitude toward the life forms, usually ends up with not much help being provided, and being un-welcome.

Suit yourself...best of luck to you.

catran

We see a lot of newbies here and 99 percent of them come here to learn about how to start their tanks and take care of them and their livestock responsibly. You're going to do what you're going to do, we just don't agree with a "I don't care attitude". If you "explored", you would have learned how to cycle without fish.

AJK

Yeah, fish do die in cycled tanks. I know because I see the desperate posts in here begging for someone to help them save thier poor sick fish. They spend tons of money and go through a lot of trouble and worry in order to keep the life they've taken into their tanks. The point is, they haven't put the fish in jeopardy on purpose. You put the fish in there with the understanding that the tak may not be cycled. "Told LFS if fish dies, I know tank is not cycled" -just not a good attitude IMO.
Maybe you don't understand that your fish are suffering ammonia and nitrite poisoning, which amounts to chemical burns, mostly internal, which they will never heal from. If they survive. The cycling can be done with a raw shrimp, so why hurt a fish? Sorry, I just don't get it.

Hi Catran,
Well my statement is the truth. At least all who reads, knows the truth. I personally feel, if the forum was more active, then people can wait through they cycling phase, while learning. It's very difficult to look at an empty tank for 4-6 weeks, with no interaction from people.

I started a new thread, no replies in newbie section. So, if forums desire members to do everything the right way, then experienced members should chime in more on questions. So, how does one know if they do something the right way or the wrong way ? I asked a question, what's best temp for tank to cycle, I recieved no replies. So, if I set my tank to 85 or 67,. Don't jump on my case, because I made a decision from lack of help. As, I gain experience I will help others. If you know of a more active forum. You can alway's pm friend, for personal matters.

catran

So, you being irresponsible and putting a fish in an uncycled tank is everyone elses fault? It took 1 entire day for you to get an answer and you think that's really bad? Try researching before you do something. I was one of the people that welcomed you to Reef Sanctuary the same day you made you post... If you're lonely, maybe someone else can talk to you. I'm out of here. Good luck with your tank.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think we are plenty active here on RS. But if you feel you will do better elsewhere I know a whole bunch of people that would love to hear from you.

Reef Central Online Community

Now onto another problem, I did not see your thread about temperature (must have gotten pushed off the home page due to all the activity)

Do you know what the correct temperature for a reef tank is? If so, then why would it be different during the cycle?

Sounds to me like you missed the main reading for starting up. click on this link and start reading the links in the first post. You have a long way to go yet.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

Most people get a little bent over cycling a tank with a live fish. For some reason the death of a fish is greater then the death of bacteria and other non fish ways of cycling an aquarium. In this hobby, expect to get an ear full when not following the current trend. Especially in online forums.

So far you have received some good advice and information. I would like to see you find better elsewhere really. Most forums online are not so gentile on this topic.

So please keep an open mind and be considerate of the ones that do take the time to give you advice.

If you need some guidance off the main forum please feel free to PM me.

Frank

AJK

i dont think he cared about "starting a cycle"... he just wanted to see a fish in his tank.

why didnt you get some corals while you were there? maybe an anemone? or a nice clam? I bet your next fish will be a mandarin goby. they are very pretty, and are often put into new tanks with people that have the same attitude as you.

Hi Jason,
Thanks for suggestions ? Know any good corals for beginners :)

steved13

PREMIUM
I think we are plenty active here on RS. But if you feel you will do better elsewhere I know a whole bunch of people that would love to hear from you.

Reef Central Online Community

Now onto another problem, I did not see your thread about temperature (must have gotten pushed off the home page due to all the activity)

Do you know what the correct temperature for a reef tank is? If so, then why would it be different during the cycle?

Sounds to me like you missed the main reading for starting up. click on this link and start reading the links in the first post. You have a long way to go yet.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

Most people get a little bent over cycling a tank with a live fish. For some reason the death of a fish is greater then the death of bacteria and other non fish ways of cycling an aquarium. In this hobby, expect to get an ear full when not following the current trend. Especially in online forums.

So far you have received some good advice and information. I would like to see you find better elsewhere really. Most forums online are not so gentile on this topic.

So please keep an open mind and be considerate of the ones that do take the time to give you advice.

If you need some guidance off the main forum please feel free to PM me.

Frank

+1 well said, Frank

1 more piece of advice...if you don't get a response to your question, feel free to give it a bump now and then to move it up so it is seen by others.

AJK

It has nothing to do with a "cult".

It's an online community of responsible hobbiests. Most of whom understand their hobby invloves living beings and there is an inherent responsibility that comes with that. A callous attitude toward the life forms, usually ends up with not much help being provided, and being un-welcome.

Suit yourself...best of luck to you.

Understand what your sharing. But members willing to help or unwilling, is solely thier freedom of choice. I would like to learn all I can about responsible saltwater tanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.