almost everything is dead!!!!!!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
And the Phoenix will rise from the ashes to be stronger... faster... and Wiser :)

Seriously.... if you want anything from my fragtank let me know. I don't have much but what I have I'll share with you.

If it was copper, I would be very careful when I used the rock that's currently in your tank now. I had a genious moment when I added a copper fitting to my sump soon after I joined the hobby. All snails, crabs, shrimp, corals, and a few fish died. I too had some xenia and it looked very much like yours shortly after the contamination. Although I didn't have any SPS at that time, I specifically remember black spots on one of my finger leathers as well. I also had "globs" of film on the top of the water that I was told was the bacteria die off.

Do yourself a favor and test your water from copper and at least eliminate or confirm that as a cause.

Although I discarded all rock/sand/coral skeletons after this happened to me, I'm still in the hobby with a tank that's thriving. It gets better...

God bless,
Chris

Varga

Thank you all kindly :)

I wont be ready for any frags anytime soon but I'm going to home depot today to get started :bouncer:

I will be taking everything out this weekend and get ready to turn my DT into a sump for the new tank.

would I be better off letting my LR die and start over or should I keep them alive in a rubbermaid for the next 2 months?

boozeman

Boomer was saying that the cloudiness in the water may be due to a bacterial bloom which will cause a large spike in amonia and may deplete oxygen levels thus killing the rest of your fish. IMHO I wouldnt remove the fish but instead continue with the large water changes to dilute the cause.

If it was copper, I would be very careful when I used the rock that's currently in your tank now. I had a genious moment when I added a copper fitting to my sump soon after I joined the hobby. All snails, crabs, shrimp, corals, and a few fish died. I too had some xenia and it looked very much like yours shortly after the contamination. Although I didn't have any SPS at that time, I specifically remember black spots on one of my finger leathers as well. I also had "globs" of film on the top of the water that I was told was the bacteria die off.

Do yourself a favor and test your water from copper and at least eliminate or confirm that as a cause.

Although I discarded all rock/sand/coral skeletons after this happened to me, I'm still in the hobby with a tank that's thriving. It gets better...

God bless,
Chris

I forgot to mention this in my previous post. Since the live rock is so porous, copper really soaks into it. I was unable to remove the copper from my rock so I had to discard. I used cuprisorb, carbon, etc to no avail. If this was me, I would determine if it was copper or not and treat the rock accordingly.

Cavinca

would I be better off letting my LR die and start over or should I keep them alive in a rubbermaid for the next 2 months?

ALIVE! ALIVE!

Throw it in the bathtub... IT'S only 2 months without a shower... youll be fine. and you wont even notice the cycle smell<=== nother plus

unless it what copper poison... chunk it.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Sasquatch

Booze has is correect in what I meant but is wrong in his idea of leaving the animals in the tank :) Diluting will not do much as the bacteria and ammonia will continue to rise or anything else that it may be. They need new clean water and need to get the hell out of that tank.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Sasquatch

Booze has is correect in what I meant but is wrong in his idea of leaving the animals in the tank :) Diluting will not do much as the bacteria and ammonia will continue to rise or anything else that it may be. They need new clean water and need to get the hell out of that tank.

Thanks Mr Wizzard!

Kensn

Let me know if there is anything I can do, will be happy to give you something out of my tank when you are ready...

burning2nd

ah im so sorry..... where the hell was i for this?

boomer,
if he would have banged out a large set of wC's when that first "cloudyness" came.... do you think the bactiera could have bin stableized....

cause the NH4 is on the way...
Im screaming...... not only a large amount of copper.... also other metel's in large amounts......

real soft home water.... sat in the sun.... heat and coolx5billion
add that all with the nice harsh propertys of salt water..... and
copper washers shafts and magnessium coatings iron, phosphorus.....

who no's.

i would suggest finding someone or somewhere to take to what ever you have left that is alive.....

PEMfish

LOL. Same thing will happen if you listen to my advice, why I didn't give any of my own. LOL. Red to black, black to red... Zzzaaaappppppppppp!