All coral bleaching! Bummed and fed up!

Mhayes462

I put a lot of work into keeping my tank nice and water clean. It's always been nice and all the coral have done really well. Now everything is bleaching and all my hard work is going down the drain. I was getting a light dusting of cyano on the glass every few days, so I figured it was time to change my purigen and cpe. The purigen had been used before and regenerated. In just a couple of days of changing them I noticed my coral losing color. Then noticed that they were bleaching badly. I yanked the purigen and bought a new bag to put in. I did a water change and am running carbon. I also added some dechlorinator. EVERYTHING is bleaching. All my fish and inverts are doing fine though. I have fish, shrimp, starfish, craps, snails and Xenia that are all doing fine. Even my mushrooms look bleached. Besides giving up, what do I do? Mainly, what the hell caused this?! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Hayes

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Water changes are your best friend right now. There is nothing wrong with doing larger water changes to dilute the problem.

reeferman

when you regenerated the purigen,did you make sure to get all the bleach back out of it?like multiple ro baths and the use of Prime to help remove it?
Al,im sure he added dechlorinator to try and fight possible bleach contamination from regenerating the purigen.just guessing though.

Mhayes462

That's exactly why I added dechlorinator. I thought maybe the purigen released bleach into the tank. Yes, I did rinse the purigen well and did soaks in prime. Could I have made too big of a change by changing the purigen and CPE at the same time?

Mike Hayes

If you think there is something in the water I would do a large water change,fresh carbon,and add a polypad. How long have all the bleached corals been in the tank?

Mhayes462

That's what I did except for the polypad. I'm going to change the carbon today and do another water change. Coral have been in for 7-3 months. Some longer and some added a couple months ago. Everything was healthy and growing great until I changed the purigen and Chemi Pure.

Mike Hayes

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Are these SPS corals, did you check your Dkh levels? When mine dropped below 6 my corals started to bleach, they could also bleach if the levels go to high.

dmatt88

Your best friend now is water changes. Back to back 50% wc will not hurt you. I encountered the same thing a few months back after my mag crashed. I did 2 big wc n added a calc reactor. My coral today look better than ever. Thanks to the guys on this page for the same advice I just shared. After the wc lets talk lighting. Something may b amiss there. Chin up buddy. It'll get better!

.............I'm feeling salty.

catran

Mike, you're not alone. I bleached a few when I first started. Be patient, you'll get the hang of it yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mhayes462

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'm always ready to learn something new. It just sucks because my tank has always been real nice with no major issues ever. Now all this. Also, found my first casualty, my brittle star at about half its size and literally falling apart
42575c18-d530-a6bd.jpg

Mike Hayes

Mhayes462

Checked params tonight and calcium is good at 460, alk is 8.3, but my mag is off the test chart. Over 1500 because that's where the test stops. What happens when mag is too high? Should I do something about it? And if so, what?

Mike Hayes

dmatt88

Have u done a wc? Ur water is cycling. Strange cycle but its changing. Salt comes pre measured its a constant. Way to get back to center.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

dmatt88

Tanks cycle. Not just the first few months but always. Algae, calc, unknown elements. Things change. The one constant in our hobby is our fresh salt water. Its a chemical power struggle. I'll do a 100% change if deemed necessary. Gotta follow the constant.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Mhayes462

How is my constant being changed then? According to reef crystals it should only be 1350 mag. It has always been higher than that though since I started testing mag. I don't dose anything except vodka and mb7.

Mike Hayes