Algae bloom

Hi guys

Been ages since I posted and I'm sorry to kick back off with a question that I know will have been chewed to death!

Anyway, I've had my tank up and running for over a year. It's an RSM 250 with the standard equipment. I've got a Mandarin, 2 clowns, a Peppermint shrimp, 5 Turbos, 3 red hermits, a torch, colt and leather finger (I think!) coral.

I haven't added anything new to the tank and all my levels (Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite) are at 0. However, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a bit of hair algae on the substrate. I removed it while I did a water change. A few hours later, I noticed more algae then some more and now it's EVERYWHERE! I do one feed a day and have my lights on about 9 hours.

I can't get rid of the damn stuff. I don't want to take the tank apart to scrub the rock because I don't want to lose my Copepods...WHAT DO I DO?!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Provide us with some more info...

How often do you do water changes?
What %?
Ro/di?
What chemical filtration are you using? How old is it?
How old are your bulbs in your lights?
What are you feeding & how much how often?
What does your cuc (clean up crew) consist of?
How many hours a day are you running your lights?

Think nutrients... increasing... most common cause...

I was told I didn't need to do phosphate readings? I'll get a kit and test them, what should they be? Water changes are 10% twice a month. The bulbs are the originals and, like I said, on about 9 hours a day. My filter is ceramic rings, again the originals.
Looking at the questions, I'm beginning to regret taking the advice I did to start with...

redsea reefer

You don't need to do Phosphate tests IMO...You know you have it if you have algae, simple as that.

Replace your bulbs cause your tank is over a year old, Bulbs should be replaced every 9-12 months. Also remove the ceramic balls. Add fresh carbon and GFO, they should be replaced every 2-3 months. 10-15g water changes.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 to Eddie's excellent advise above ^

If this is your snails in your cuc snails - 5 Turbos

add more snails - great for cuc - I have something like this... in my RSM 250
40 Dwarf Ceriths
15 Nassarius
15 Florida Ceriths
15 Nerites

15% water changes weekly is best 10 gallons - imo

My tanks run near algae free, you can get there with thew above advise - best of luck & cheers !

Yeah, I'd figured that lol! For some reason, it's suddenly started receeding slightly. Very odd.
TBH, I've not had chance to do much other than basic care. I've had a bit of a tough time lately so the tanks have been the last thing on my mind :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Don't trust your phosphate (or nitrate) readings on the tank water - they're being consumed by the algae. Test the phosphates on your RO/DI water and fresh saltwater.

Not too badly. I'm going to increase the CUC but don't want to do it all at once in case I overload the tank. Several small but frequent water changes have caused it to receed a bit as well.

Right, here's my levels. I've been doing little but often water changes and added another 6 snails today
Levels:
Phosphates - 0
KH - 7
Nitrate - 0
Calcium - 520 (26 drops used from API test kit)
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 7.8
Ammonia - 0

Does that sound ok?

BLAKEJOHN

KH should be 8-12
CA should be around 420-450

Ther 500+ CA will cause precipitate and will eventually lead to equipment failure.

Do you dose any of these two elements?

otherwise as long as the kh is constant you should be fine..