adding chaeto to skimmer cup

has anybody added chaeto to the RSM upgrade surface skimmer cup?
do you think there could be any benefit? obviously no pods but maybe removal of nutrients?

TonyV

You mean like this?

IMG_3443.jpg

That's where I keep mine. Out of sight and out of mind. No extra equipment needed.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Anyone know the proper pronunciation?

Cheeto?
Kay-toe?
Chay-toe?
Chay-ee-toe?
Kay-ee-toe?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
has anybody added chaeto to the RSM upgrade surface skimmer cup?
do you think there could be any benefit? obviously no pods but maybe removal of nutrients?

IMHO I see no difference (in that instance) between Chaeto (key-toe) and sponge or other filter media. If I were looking for mechanical filtration I'd probably opt for something else because Chaeto will break loose in small pieces and end up in various places in your back chambers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I remember the first time I asked for "Chee Toe" at my LFS and they had no idea what I was talking about. Ok - back to topic again. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I remember the first time I asked for "Chee Toe" at my LFS and they had no idea what I was talking about. Ok - back to topic again. :)

Same thing here. Then I said, "It's the Maco-Algae best suited for a Refugium."

He said, " A refffff what"?

I then said, " Oh sorry a FUGE".

I got the classic "Deer in the headlights look" and I knew I was on my own! LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I got the classic "Deer in the headlights look" and I knew I was on my own

I recently asked a lfs (that has lots of coral & sw fish) for some calabration fluid, the guy said what, I said, You know to calibrate a refractometer - he said what a refractometer? After I got the Deer in the headlights look - he said let me get the owner, he came & told me he didn't have any, but he had thought about buying a refractometer, because he heard they were good at measuring salinity.

I wanted to say - you got to be kidding me right... I just went on looking around his store - with my Deer in the headlights look...

Ok... back to topic - not many run chaeto in the RSM because flow such a key to these AIOs.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have chaeto in a pod house that I bought from BigJay, here is his link. I have the pod house in the back of the tank behind the rocks so it basically can't be seen. I use one of Jay's target feeders to periodically populate it. It helps maintain the pod population for my mandarin. Here is Jay's thread and a pic of my pod house on my table before putting it in the tank with chaeto..

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...2-anyone-need-anything-made-out-pyrex-30.html

IMG_5209.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
chaeto in one of Jay's pod house's - would be a good way to go... though I would need a 250, to have room for it :) or a new 130 designed around it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Greg - do you ever pull the chaeto out and rotate it in the pod house? When it's used in a sump it needs to be tumbled or turned to keep it from dyeing off on the bottom (and harvested to keep it from getting too dense, plus as nitrate export). I'm like Glenn - not really enough room in my 130 for one, but I've considered it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is how my Chaeto (key-toe) grows by far the best.... (light is removed so I can shoot the video)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Terry,

it's only been in there about two weeks but is growing well. I plan on taking it out and shaking out the pods periodically, then pruning and removing the excess when I need to keep it under control.