5 Days in on my new 130D!

Edison

Good looking rock work & love your little clown!

I'll be following your tank's progress as well.

I started out the end of October last and it's been a great experience so far.

(already looking at that used 120 the LFS has for sale) :yup:

NYCreefer

Thanks guys for the kind words =)

I find myself pulling up a chair and just watching for hours. It's like my own national geographic with no commercial interruptions

So woke up this morning, and to my surprise i now have 2 cleaner shrimp instead of one! After a few minutes I realized the new one wasn't moving much, or at all for that matter. A little research here on the forum tells me that he has molted. After only 2 days in my tank, how exciting!

My question now is, do I remove the old exoskeleton from the tank? worried that it will start decomposing.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can just leave it I do, unless I can get it out very easy. I remember when mine 1st molted, I thought I lost him...

NYCreefer

Thanks Glenn. Amazingly the exoskeleton was just sitting out in the open on a rock, so I managed to pull it out. During the process, the little shrimp came out of hiding and was checking out my hand, almost as if he was telling me to leave it be. loving the personality of my livestock so far :bouncer:

Also wanted to get an opinion on what the green seaweed looking growth on these rocks are, and whether is stays or goes. Oh ya, and any guess on that coral? The LFS was pretty unsure and was saying frogspawn.

IMG_0339.jpg

Cheers :clink:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The shrimp molts can really toss you for a loop the first time it happens! They usually do molt soon after being added to a tank, then once in a while after that.

Hard to tell for sure but the algae looks like a type of Caulerpa - if it was me I'd pull it off. It propagates by runners and can cover the rock and be more difficult to remove the runners later.

mbdave

Here's the latest .. :dance:

IMG_0336.jpg

Over the weekend i added another 15lb of fully cured Vietnamese live rock and did a little aquascaping. really loving this look over the previous one :)

Also picked up a cleaner shrimp, 4 small frags and of course .. a little clown :bigbounce . The little guy is super active during the day and his appetite is out of control. He spent his first night up at the top right corner of the tank, but today he's exploring the tank and playing in the water flow.

I noticed you have a slime layer on the surface of your water and your overflow is under the water surface. I recommend sliding the overflow up to where the water is "skimming" through the slots that way the slime coat will go away this might also involve lowering your water level a little so the level in back is below where the overflow is skimming.
Good luck,
Dave

NYCreefer

Thanks Dave! Not sure what I'd do without you guys. :smack:

So I think I may have a flow issue. The water level indicator on the rear left of the tank shows 3 lines down, while the level on the front of the tank is a little above the black plastic. hard to say, but it seems like this started happening when I installed the media rack and added CPE/Purigen/Filter Floss. Any suggestions?

Will try and get some better pics of that algae as well, having a tough time trying to get my camera to focus on objects in the tank.

redsea reefer

So I think I may have a flow issue. The water level indicator on the rear left of the tank shows 3 lines down, while the level on the front of the tank is a little above the black plastic. hard to say, but it seems like this started happening when I installed the media rack and added CPE/Purigen/Filter Floss. Any suggestions?

Its the CP-E thats causing your flow problem. Did you just place it on the rack?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's the biggest problem with the CPE. The GFO (ground ferric oxide, which is just high quality rust LOL) in the CPE really restricts flow. Unfortunately by suspending it, a lot of water goes around it, rather than through the bag, so it loses a lot of the efficiency of the CPE. That's why I eventually stuck mine back in the dreaded Chamber of Death - to get more flow through the whole bag. Now I run it in a media reactor in my sump in the cabinet.

redsea reefer

That's the biggest problem with the CPE. The GFO (ground ferric oxide, which is just high quality rust LOL) in the CPE really restricts flow. Unfortunately by suspending it, a lot of water goes around it, rather than through the bag, so it loses a lot of the efficiency of the CPE. That's why I eventually stuck mine back in the dreaded Chamber of Death - to get more flow through the whole bag. Now I run it in a media reactor in my sump in the cabinet.

NYCreefer - Yup, This is the reason I switched to SeaChems SeaGel.