40 Gallon Tank Cycle

zoidberg

Hey everyone,
I started cycling my reef tank last weekend. It's a 40 gallon breeder with 80lbs of oolite sand (70 in tank 10 in sump) and 80lbs of live rock and 20lbs of base rock. To jump start the cycle I have 2 dead silversides floating in a filter bag. I've tested my water every two days (API test kit) and haven't seen a jump in ammonia, nitrite or nitrates yet. With so much live rock and sand would I even notice a cycle? I know I'm probably being impatience but I went to jewel today and had the awkward moment of getting 2 dead shrimp from the meat counter. I threw them in the filter bag hoping to see something. Any thoughts..........

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
hmmmm first thing is any chance you have a bad test kit?

You may not see the Ammonia to Nitrite portion but you would see Nitrates building because they keep building until you export them with a water change.

I wouldn't think your cycle had progressed so quickly unless you had some NO3 building and you could visibly see the silversides/shrimp being consumed by the bacteria.

zoidberg

Thanks for the fast reply BigAl,
Its a brand new test kit, I got it from Drs. Froster and Smith. The belly is missing from one of the silversides, which was whole when I put it in

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Just keep on testing and I'm sure you'll see the numbers kick up all of a sudden. While we all want our new tanks to cycle quickly this is a slow and steady hobby that is best to go slow at. Sounds like you've got a good setup going and we all look forward to pics.

zoidberg

I just finished doing my tests and the ammonia had a small spike, it's at .25 So I guess the dead shrimp helped out. It's a small difference but it's a change, Now I'm excited

zoidberg

Updated results, I don't know to be happy or confused..... I've been doing my tests
12/19 ammonia was .25, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0
12/21 ammonia was .50, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0
Today I tested my water again and my ammonia was 0, Nitrite was 0 but my Nitrate is at 10. I'm confused, what happened to the nitrites spiking. Does this mean I had a short cycle? I never had a short cycle before. The silversides are almost completely disintegrated and the shrimp have seen better days.

zoidberg

Well I checked the tank today. The Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates all came back 0. What does that mean? I thought toward the end of the cycle the Nitrates would skyrocket. Which would signal the end of the cycle, You do a water change, and every buddy is happy.:yup: I'm not in a hurry, just getting tired of looking at a tank full of rock lol.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
ammonia test kits I find to be the worst ones to interpret, throw another shrimp in there and check daily, it should happen very quick, you might catch it you might not, after 4 or 5 days if still 0 its done

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif