Should I cut access above tank or just trim out like it is

• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gch.3

hey matt its been almost 2 weeks of filling and draining hows the ph doing. were all here chomping at the bit waiting for an update. please:eek:lsmile:

mattinwa

hi matt
i have read your thread an can i just say thankyou, i am just starting out in the hobby / addiction and your thread is not only entertaining but realy helpful to a begginer. You have inspired me to start my own thread on my first tank that i am putting together. your tank truly is awesome and the rock you made looks incredible well done buddy great job. lets hope the name has something to do with success cheers
Matt

Basile

So Matt some update would be nice how's going man, hope everythings ok, looks awsome from here, can't wait for it to be filled, that gona cost an arm and a leg to do pal LOL you know that don't you LOL take care.:bluenod:

pinklips829

all i have to say is wow!!!! this is amazing! I just read the entire thread, (took quite awhile :) totally worth it!) Cant wait to see this all done!

MattShack

maybe bad form but do you have any idea how much you have invested so far?

Sorry for the long delay in updating. I'm still down a computer and not much going on right now. Still trying to get the pH down from all from all of the concrete. I'm making progress. A few weeks ago the pH would climb above readable levels as soon as it was filled up. I used vinegar, but didn't do much. I did some research on concrete Koi ponds to see what they used and hydrochloric acid seemed to be the most popular. I've used 2 gallons of hydrochloric acid and the pH swings take about 48 hours now to creep up over readable levels. I just got through draining the tank and scrubing the rocks. I removed tons of calcium that precipitated out. I'm going out of town for Thanksgiving and going to let the rocks dry out. I'm going to do an acid wash and fill the tank up again. I'm still shooting for sometime in Jan or Feb to stock it.

To answer your question, I lost track a little on all of the small stuff, but I would estimate about $2000 or a little less. I'm figuring I'll spend about another $2000 to $2500 mainly on lights and pumps to get it running. I plan on building the sump in the next week or two.

MattShack

Amazing, Matt! I just spent the last 2 hours reading this entire thread. It was like watching a documentary. As I was reading, I kept wondering how far along the project would be once I reached the end. You must still be "curing" the concrete. I can't wait to see "the rest of the story" as it unfolds.

My wife and I are just getting started in the whole reef tank hobby. Now I know just how far this can go. Very dangerous!!! lol. Fortunately, my wife is as excited as I am about all this.

This has been very educational and very entertaining. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I am still curing the concrete. Hopefully I'll have some more interesting stuff soon. Waiting on concrete to cure is about as exciting as watching paint dry. :lol:

Great to hear you're taking up the hobby, it's a lot of fun. I have 3 tanks running right now. I'm looking forward to just one big one.

My wife and I have been talking about building a house in a year or two. I'm going to get a whole room dedicated to a tank this time. I'm thinking about going up to about 3000 gallons. :lol: Shhhh. I haven't told my wife yet :D

MattShack

hi matt
i have read your thread an can i just say thankyou, i am just starting out in the hobby / addiction and your thread is not only entertaining but realy helpful to a begginer. You have inspired me to start my own thread on my first tank that i am putting together. your tank truly is awesome and the rock you made looks incredible well done buddy great job. lets hope the name has something to do with success cheers
Matt

Great to hear you enjoyed the reading. It has been fun. Post a link to your thread here so I can check it out. Good luck. With a name like Matt, you can't go wrong. :D

MattShack

Thanks again for all of the kind words.

Basile, I figured it up and it's costing just under $9.00 on the water bill every time I fill it up. That's straight tap water, no RO.

googoomas

Matt, as a newbie on RS and after reading through your entire thread, I thought it only fare that my first post goes as a big :thumbup: to you! Awesome tank build, cant wait like everyone else to see it finished. Happy Turkey Day!

MattShack

Thanks nightfire76.

googoomas. WELCOME to RS. I feel honored to get your first post. Good luck in the hobby, it's a lot of fun. Let me know if you need anything.

l3fty999

Thanks everyone.

youngreefer2410, I plan on removing all of the exposed foam. The only exposed foam is what squeezed through holes in the rocks. If it doesn't look good I will probably cover it with cement.

Thanks WayneT. I have some phosphate problems in one of my tanks that has FL limestone. That may be the problem. In this tank, the only rock is the DIY rock. I bet you were tired. :lol: that is a lot of reading. I am ready to get past the curing stage. I'm not good at being patient :lol:

As far as patience goes, I think you're doing just fine. I have quite a bit of patience, but I would have a hard time doing what you are. I wish you luck and I'll continue to follow along.

Aaron

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sorry for the delays in updating. Not much been going on. I'm down to one computer and my wife has been keeping it tied up with her school work.

I waited 28 days after the rock work was finished to let the concrete fully cure. Hopefully this will help speed up the underwater curing to get the pH right.

I filled the tank up Friday night, today the pH is off of the chart. I'm draing it today and refilling. I will keep doing that until the pH stabilizes.

Here are the pics from Friday night filling.

101709curing1.JPG

101709curing2.JPG

101709curing3.JPG

101709curing4.JPG

That looks awesome Matt! You should be very proud of your work. Bravo dude :)

tnwillia

WOW, that going to be a beautiful tank once you light it up. All that hard work is going to really show. Thanks!