1 more question... for now

sorry for all the questions but they just keep popping up-:).

live rock vs. dry rock.

i was thinking about getting live rock from Prime Cured Live Rock&#153 from Aquarium Arts - the Living Reef Filter.... they have some really nice reviews. however their prices are extremely high vs. bulkreefsupplie's, nice and cheap dry rock:). at the cost of shipping ($10/pound in california) so $150 for what I want since I'm like a 4hour drive, I'm better of taking a trip their and picking it up myself:). here are their reviews: http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverockcustomers.html looks really good:)

so what do you think? live rock or dry rock. why?

thanks!

jpsika08

For dry rock you can also check MarcoRocks Aquarium Products very nice rocks easy to shape up, this is what I got in my tank and no disappointment.

Maybe Live vs Dry points would be

Live Rock:
Pros
- Tank will mature cycle quicker
- Lots of life which will help your biofilter kick in quicker.

Cons
- More expensive
- Can bring in unwanted hitchhikers

Dry Rock:
Pros
- Cheaper
- No unwanted creeps

Cons
- Tank will mature cycle longer

This is what I can come up with. :)

Good luck

You could always do dry rock with a small amount of live rock to speed of the cycle a little but i could be wrong someone else well have a different answer

Doogle

Dry rocks a good way to make sure you won't have any pests. You can seed the live rock apparently with a product I forget the name. I read it at mrsaltwatertank.com

DaveK

This comes down to what you want out of your tank, how much money you want to spend, and how quickly do you want to get things going.

Dry rock costs a lot less, but even with seeding it with some LR, it takes months for it to become as active as live rock.

Live rock will cost more, but the system will get up to speed faster. You'll also find new and different things growing on it for years to come. This can be a blessing or curse, depending upon what it is. You get some nice pods and it a plus, you get a mantis shrimp, and you need to remove all your rock to get it out, it's a problem.

There is no really right or wrong answer here. How do those factors relater to you? That will determine your best approach.

I saw the package on live aquaria. However premium aquatics good reviews and customizability (order by the pound) really drew me. I'm emailing owner (test customer support and customizability further, i want peices with amazing life). but I think I'm going to go with them for around $200 for my 15lbs sand, 15lbs rock overnighted. My favorite part was the pictures of a customer who got some nice zoanthids with his rock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it helps... in my 1st tank I used all $10 a pound premium LR Tonga Branch & it worked great

on my 2nd tank I went with 80% dry Rock from Marco Rock and seeded it with 20% LR from lfs ... it also worked well and allowed me to buy a bunch of extra corals with the same dollars :dance: Both ways work well good advise from everyone above ! ^

As to how fast the tanks will cycle, it's related to how "cured" the LR is... on my 1st tank, I wanted to cycle with uncured fresh LR, pick it up from the airport was right from the ocean & took about 2 months to cycle. If you got fully cured LR a cycle would be much faster, but the tank still will mature over many months.

50 Pound box Key Largo Rock, Free Shipping *in the continental US*

My 2nd tank cycled over about 6 weeks with 2 deli shrimp added as an ammonia source
Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled to where 1st fish can be added :dance: this will take from a few weeks to a couple months, depending on the state of your LR - hope this helps

Doogle

I saw the package on live aquaria. However premium aquatics good reviews and customizability (order by the pound) really drew me. I'm emailing owner (test customer support and customizability further, i want peices with amazing life). but I think I'm going to go with them for around $200 for my 15lbs sand, 15lbs rock overnighted. My favorite part was the pictures of a customer who got some nice zoanthids with his rock.

. You can get live sand for $5 for 5lbs or bigger bags for a bit less per pound at petsmart and good tonga rock or whatever rocks they carry at lfs or $6-10 a lb.. usually
Plus you get to inspect rock for aiptasia and mojanos anemones and it will help you cycle your tank faster. I've found lfs will give you extras sometimes and may have rock on sale periodically. I got mine for $5.99, $3.99, $6.99, and$7.99 per lb. It just depends on what kind of rock and when they get their shipments.. I really lve the look of tonga, it's awesome looking stuff but may lack tons of life and coralline, but I love the look the best.

lbiminiblue

live rock vs. dry rock.

i was thinking about getting live rock from Prime Cured Live Rock™ from Aquarium Arts - the Living Reef Filter.... they have some really nice reviews. however their prices are extremely high vs. bulkreefsupplie's, nice and cheap dry rock:). at the cost of shipping ($10/pound in california) so $150 for what I want since I'm like a 4hour drive, I'm better of taking a trip their and picking it up myself:). here are their reviews: http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverockcustomers.html looks really good:)

thanks!
don't be sorry you'll be sorry if you didn't ask around enough and did something wrong!

lbiminiblue

live rock vs. dry rock.

i was thinking about getting live rock from Prime Cured Live Rock™ from Aquarium Arts - the Living Reef Filter.... they have some really nice reviews. however their prices are extremely high vs. bulkreefsupplie's, nice and cheap dry rock:). at the cost of shipping ($10/pound in california) so $150 for what I want since I'm like a 4hour drive, I'm better of taking a trip their and picking it up myself:). here are their reviews: http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverockcustomers.html looks really good:)

thanks!

if you could find someone local who sells LR, go for it. I know live rock will help kickstart our system. Like JP says it CAN bring in HH's, probly anemones and possibly crabs, but it does seem to be the better option.

i am actually focused on premium aquatics right now. i don't have good lfs's near me except neptune aquatics and I prefer shipping because I don't need to drive. I'm going to work with premium aquatics to get over night and get my live rock after they get a new shipment so that I can make sure to get maximum life on all my rock. I will order 4 types of rock uncured, 1 live sand, and 2 types of rubble. The rock I'm getting the most of is one that starts with "m" mando something can't remember right now:). 5lbs, but getting all types to try for maximum life!

Tru2nr

Personally I got better control over my 75 using 100lbs of dry rock from brs and used one awesome looking piece from the lfs that was 2 lbs and cycled my tank and the only major HH I got were 2 crabs and a zoanthid once I discovered the crab it was easy to remove and haven't had issues since like I did with my tank of all fully cured LR

fishguy4

i like live rock alot. The benefits you get: copepods, amphipods, algaes, etc. how big is you tank because if you really want to save some $$$ then you could buy enough live rock to cover the front of the display, then fill the back with dried rock. it will eventually become live rock also. its a very economical choice. how many gallons does your tank have?

i like live rock alot. The benefits you get: copepods, amphipods, algaes, etc. how big is you tank because if you really want to save some $$$ then you could buy enough live rock to cover the front of the display, then fill the back with dried rock. it will eventually become live rock also. its a very economical choice. how many gallons does your tank have?

10g. Not planning on fiji rock because of reports of the quality going donw.