Search results

1. C

Need to replace Rio 3100 return pump and skimmer/pump

I have a 75 gallon DT and makeshift sump (rubbermaid tub) with kent float valves in it for ATO system. I bought the entire setup a few years back and never replaced the Rio pumps that came with it. Now that they are finally crapping out, I want to replace them with something halfway decent...
  2. C

Advice needed for crashing tank...

My mom has a 55g tank that she has had for several years actually. She (had) a few chromis, an ocellaris (I think), a bit of LR, and a TON of mushrooms in it, but not much more. Over the last week, they have had a good bit of work done to their house in preparation to sell. This includes...
  3. C

Nova Extreme Pro T-5 problems

I'm having electrical issues with my new fixture and just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same type of thing. I've actually had issues since I got it about 2 months ago. Some of the bulbs are very positional, and I have to mess with them for a long time to get them to work. When I...
  4. C

London Aquarium

Has anyone ever been to the London aquarium or know anything about it? I'm going to Europe in July and was wondering if it would be worth planning to visit.
  5. C

Nova Extreme Pro T-5

Hi everyone. I just want to make sure I'm about to make the right decision before I buy something... 48" Nova Extreme Pro fixture - 6 bulbs with the individually contoured reflector vs. 48" Nova Extreme - 8 bulbs, but single reflector that's not contoured around the bulbs. However, it...
  6. C

Powder Blue

I found my powder blue tang dead under some rock work today. My rather large serpent star was snacking on his remains. The PBT was a good 4-5" long, so I don't think the star got him, but now I'm wondering what did him in. Too disappointed to check any levels today, so I'll get to them...
  7. C

RODI Output

My RODI unit is rated for 50 GPD. I bought it used so I don't have that much info on it. It is from Amazing RO (I think they're located in FL somehwere). When I do water changes, I make 10g batches. It makes 10g in approximately 30 minutes. Is this normal for a 50 GPD unit? Seems like it...
  8. C

Replacing MH with T-5s

So after my ongoing fiasco with my MH lighting and my newly installed GFCI, I was thinking about possibly replacing everything I have with T5 and wanted to get everybody's input. I would like to keep a mixed tank including some SPS near the top and a clam or 2. The tank is 48" wide X 22"...
  9. C

GFCI and MH light

After installing a GFCI outlet a little over a week ago, one of my 175W MH instantly trips my GFCI and the whole tank shuts down. The other MH works fine and does not cause it to trip. I finally took the entire hood off today and took it to my LFS where one of the guys helped me...
  10. C

Finding a short in MH light

So, after a scary return home from Christmas and finding all power to my tank off due to a minor electrical fire, I finally showed some sense and installed a GFCI outlet. Problem is, one of my MHs is causing it to shut down. I've tried every possible combination. The other MH works fine with...
  11. C

I learned about GFCI the HARD way :(

So, I returned from a 2-day Christmas vacation with my family to find a surprise. As soon as I walked into my house, my heart stopped when I didn't hear any water movement. I naturally looked behind the tank and it quickly got worse. The outlet that my power strips are plugged into was...
  12. C

Been away, but I'm back

Sorry to be absent from the forum for so long guys. I really feel like I've missed out over the last few months. This really is a great group of people with a wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping to get more active with the forum again. I've taken a few vacations over the last few months. My...
  13. C

Vacation pictures

I just returned from my very relaxing vacation to the northern east coast. Here are some pictures I though I'd share.... Humpback whale open-mouth feeding Humpback whale preparing to dive My wife Melissa and golden retriever Hunter kayaking...thankfully no where near the whales.
  14. C

Salifert KH test question

Let me begin by saying that I know I'm probably overthinking this and I'm sure there is an easy answer. Now with that out of the way.... I just started using this test. Instructions state to put a plastic tip onto the 1mL syringe and draw up the reagent until the plunger is at the 1mL mark...
  15. C

Replacement MH bulb recommendation

I need to replace my MHs soon. When I bought the tank used about 6 months ago, the guy said they had already been in use for about 6 months. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure about the specifics of the lighting system. Dual 175MH, unknown ballast brand or type. Currently, the bulbs are...
  16. C

New York Aquarium - Ever been?

I'm going up to NYC this weekend and am considering going to the aquarium. Has anyone ever been? Recommend it? Any other area attractions that we should see?
  17. C

Remember the Charleston 9

Something that hits a little close to home being a paramedic in Charleston, SC. Today is the 1 year anniversary of the fire in Charleston that killed 9 CFD firefighters. If everyone could find a moment today to say a prayer to remember the guys, their families, and the CFD and what they're...
  18. C

Activities in NYC

I'm heading up to NYC next weekend on Saturday and coming back on Tuesday. Going up with the wife to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. We are still trying to plan out our weekend, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do? We probably won't see a show this time unless...
  19. C

Steven's 75 gallon Reef

I've been meaning to do this for a while now. I started with a 29g a few years ago and kept up with it off and on. Like many new reefers, I thought starting out with a small tank would be easier than buying something larger right off the rip. I knew practically nothing about the hobby and...
  20. C

ATO Kalkwasser dosing

I will soon begin dosing Kalkwasser with my ATO system. Almost everything in my system is DIY. I bought it from a guy about 4 months ago. Setup: Output from RO/DI is split. One side goes directly to my sump (lower Kent float valve). The other side goes to a 5g plastic container (which...