Nova Extreme Pro T-5 problems

I'm having electrical issues with my new fixture and just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same type of thing. I've actually had issues since I got it about 2 months ago. Some of the bulbs are very positional, and I have to mess with them for a long time to get them to work. When I finally get them all turning on, it's only a matter of days before some of them go off again.

I told my LFS about it and they already have a new one on order for me. They didn't even ask to look at it - just told me it was under warranty and they would order me a new one that should be in next week.

Anyone else have any specific issues with these fixtures? Mine is the 6-bulb with contoured reflectors.

carmexx

Knock On Wood! I've had my 36" Nova Extreme Pro a little over a month now and haven't had any issues. I even followed the DIY thread to retrofit a moonlight into the fixture. It's awesome! I wish you the best in getting the new fixture hassle free.

Thanks. I've heard a few horror stories, but mostly good things from people who have them. I'm sure it will be no big deal getting a new one - it's already on order.

dianezoo

Steven, Im having the exact same problem with mine which are 6 -48" and was just now messing with them when I noticed only a few of the lights were on. I had to mess with them when I first got them too to get them all tolight up. if they are not in just right. Then they were fine for a couple of weeks until now. when I mess with them half go off or just the actinics come on. I have to lift it down to push on each tube I guess to get them all to come back on at the same time. I'm not sure on warrenty or not, or if I know where I put the receipt-bummer. otherwise I have loved these lights.

newreefguy

Mine done the same thing... 1 you've got a bad bulb..
2 there's a loose wire in the tombstone(white things)

Steven, Im having the exact same problem with mine which are 6 -48" and was just now messing with them when I noticed only a few of the lights were on. I had to mess with them when I first got them too to get them all tolight up. if they are not in just right. Then they were fine for a couple of weeks until now. when I mess with them half go off or just the actinics come on. I have to lift it down to push on each tube I guess to get them all to come back on at the same time. I'm not sure on warrenty or not, or if I know where I put the receipt-bummer. otherwise I have loved these lights.

Sounds exactly like what I've got going on. Good to know that I'm not just crazy! If you bought it within a year, it's definitely still under warranty. Maybe you could find the purchase on your credit card history. My LFS was awesome about it, but don't know where you ordered yours through. Thanks and good luck!

Mine done the same thing... 1 you've got a bad bulb..
2 there's a loose wire in the tombstone(white things)

Good point. Maybe it is just a bad bulb. I'm not messing with the wiring. It's too new to be acting up like that. I've only had it for a little over a month or so.

Question: Is it wired in sequence so that if one bulb is bad it affects all of the others on that circuit?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Good point. Maybe it is just a bad bulb. I'm not messing with the wiring. It's too new to be acting up like that. I've only had it for a little over a month or so.

Question: Is it wired in sequence so that if one bulb is bad it affects all of the others on that circuit?

Some are, some aren't. I don't know about the NEP, but I would expect that it is wired 3 & 3 and you would have 3 bulbs in a circuit, not two.

One thing I have seen is a fixture gets jostled in shipping, and the reflector develops a warp, with the result that the bulb doesn't get good contact. So you have to jiggle a bulb to get it to work. It doesn't take much.

In any case the replacement fixture should fix your problem

Some are, some aren't. I don't know about the NEP, but I would expect that it is wired 3 & 3 and you would have 3 bulbs in a circuit, not two.

Actually, I know for a fact that one switch turns on 2 lights and the other switch turns on the other 4. I thought that was a little strange too, but it's definitely wired that way. Each switch also controls one of the two fans.

I was wondering if any of the lights being out caused the others on the same circuit to go out, similar to old Christmas tree lights. But I don't think that they do. I'm pretty sure I've powered them up one at a time before.

newreefguy

Well... the one switch should turn on actinics and the other your daylights...
The daylights are wired to 2 seperate ballasts but are connected in the switch (how mine is anyway), and the actinics are independant on a third ballast. Mine is less than 5 weeks old.

lowfi

oh man, now im worried. I got NEP 36" fixture a while ago...and when I say a while ago i mean when they first came out. Ive fired up the light to make sure that it worked fine, and it did, however...I havent been able to set up a tank yet (I know, I know). Hopefully when I set up a tank, and have the lights on for an actual duration of time, they wont give me any problems. :/ Now you've gotten me all worried.

bandr1002

oh man, now im worried. I got NEP 36" fixture a while ago...and when I say a while ago i mean when they first came out. Ive fired up the light to make sure that it worked fine, and it did, however...I havent been able to set up a tank yet (I know, I know). Hopefully when I set up a tank, and have the lights on for an actual duration of time, they wont give me any problems. :/ Now you've gotten me all worried.

gotta be honest with you. i am not a fan of this fixture at all, i had one and it was crap. however, the good news is this.......... Current has the absolute BEST customer service that i have ever seen. even if you have a fixture that has not been used (which is your case) i would not worry about them not taking care of any problems that you may have.

newreefguy

Look I love this fixture.... my problem was simply a bad bulb, that particular bulb came from my old fixture because one of the ones that came with the nep was broken opening the box/in shipment.

Sorry to cause a panic folks. I'm pretty sure they don't have an overall bad reputation....just wanted to share my situation.

I'm sure it's something extremely simple whether it be a bulb making poor contact or a loose wire.

dianezoo

If i raised corner of my light they would come on but setting back down on the tank they go off. I had to take the huge fixture off my tank to get all the bulbs working which they did. but as soon as I joseled it back up on the tank the same problem some bulbs went off. I finally was albe to fiddle with sliding the spash guard off and get them all working. Ill see how it goes when the timmer turns them on tomorrow. I got them from my local fish store that I dont do much business with so hopefully it will be ok. Otherwise I love the light and my corals realy love it.

carmexx

Ya know it's funny....the one thing I did notice about my fixture is that 2 460 nm bulbs are on one circuit and the other four (3 10,000 k and 1 460 nm bulb) are on the other circuit. I thought that was odd.
Ryan

dianezoo

Ryan, mines the same way. This past week all six have been comming on when the timer goes on. I'm glad forthat.