Nova Extreme Pro T-5

Hi everyone. I just want to make sure I'm about to make the right decision before I buy something...

48" Nova Extreme Pro fixture - 6 bulbs with the individually contoured reflector

vs.

48" Nova Extreme - 8 bulbs, but single reflector that's not contoured around the bulbs. However, it does include lunar lighting, which the Pro unit does not have, but I think I could rig something pretty easily in the pro unit.

Just wanted to make sure that I would be making the right decision going with the Pro fixture. Even though it has 2 fewer bulbs (324w total) than the extreme fixture (432w total), the reflector contoured around the bulbs will direct more light into the tank even over the 8-bulb unit, right?

Curgan

Ive been doing some research on these lights lately as well, and pretty much came to the same conclusion as you, the nova extreme pro will put as much maybe even more light into the tank then the nova extreme, plus you have less bulbs to replace, less wattage = less money in the long run... i vote for the PRO!

novanosis

Go with the Pro. With a 75 Gal you will need more light output and the Pro will do a better job. I have read around and found out 6 bulbs is plenty for your size tank. A guy named BigJay has it on his 90 Bow. He is very happy with it.

I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the extreme pro. I can always find a way to put some lunar lighting in there somewhere.

novanosis

I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the extreme pro. I can always find a way to put some lunar lighting in there somewhere.

I cannot find the pictures, but a guy drilled a small hole in the back and added two LEDs with Velcro and it worked perfectly.

novanosis

index.php

Here is an idea.

Jukas

I ordered a Nova Extreme Pro 48" 6 bulb setup in August of 2008. Less than 3 months into owning it two bulbs in a row failed to light and one of the support rails for the legs broke. Current Usa support was terrible. They wouldn't return emails or phone calls, when I finally was able to get ahold of someone they told me to contact the vendor I got it from.

I called Marine Depot and their CS dept sent me another leg and a new ballast for the light. This worked for about three months and now the other leg is broken on the support rail, the same two bulbs placement are failing (bad ballast again) and if I have both the 10k and Actinic lights on it's started randomly tripping my GFI which means the fixture is shorting out somewhere.

For a $400 fixture that's a lot of issues to deal with in six months, and I'm left wishing I had bought a different brand.

jjohnson3

I assure you that you will love the Nova Extreme Pro. You can always do some DIY moonlighting. I have the same fixture you bought except mine is 36''. The only thing I do not like about it is that the fans are kindof noisy but I have gotten used to it.

BigJay

Yup go with the nova pro and I have a tutorial here in the DIY section on how to install Moonlight LED's.

reefracer

The PRO is a GO! Warning you may bleach some corals! I have the 36" on a 90gal and it does a great job, drives the light right to the bottom. Fans are a little loud.

jjohnson3

I honestly believe that I could keep whatever I want with my Nova Pro with the exception of some of the specimens that are the most light demanding such as sebae anemones, some sps, maxima and crocea clams. If they were in the top 1/4 of my tank I think they would have enogh light to thrive.

BigJay

I honestly believe that I could keep whatever I want with my Nova Pro with the exception of some of the specimens that are the most light demanding such as sebae anemones, some sps, maxima and crocea clams. If they were in the top 1/4 of my tank I think they would have enogh light to thrive.

with the right bulbs I truely believe you can grow anything period. Ask my clam at 28"s below the light. He's been in now for I guess 4 or 5 months and growing steadily. None of the zoos on the bottom of the tank (28" deep tank) show indications of reaching for light. All are flat against the rock. SPS definetly do better when they are moved up higher in the tank but they definetly would grow anywhere in the tank.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
with the right bulbs I truely believe you can grow anything period. Ask my clam at 28"s below the light. He's been in now for I guess 4 or 5 months and growing steadily. None of the zoos on the bottom of the tank (28" deep tank) show indications of reaching for light. All are flat against the rock. SPS definetly do better when they are moved up higher in the tank but they definetly would grow anywhere in the tank.

There are a couple of things like a Ritteri that I would be concerned about, my Ritteri like to bask 10" away from a 250 watt MH bulb. Not many inverts like that though

miaskies

I had a problem with my nova extreme, I don't have the pro, I got the four bulb system with indiv. reflectors for my 55. It arrived with the right side of the hood cracked and I found a customer service number on their website. I faxed them my receipt and the model # and the first time they sent me the wrong one. I called again and they sent me out the right part, right away, free of charge. Then one day, I forgot to turn on the fan and one of my lights blew. Be sure to always turn the fan on, even though you have to bend down and go under your stand to plug in and unplug the fan on a daily basis, as there is no switch for the fan on the light itself. I thought one of the ballasts was broken, because both lights would'nt work. Once I swapped out both of the bulbs on that circuit, it worked. They sent me a new set of white lights also, free of charge. My only complaint is that my live rock has bleached out quite a bit and the fan is a little noisy.

BigJay

The nova extreme pro does not use a seperate switch for the fan and lights. I wasn't even aware the extreme did. The fans turn on automatically when the ballasts with 4 lights are turned on.

So, the question is now, I know it comes with bulbs, but I've heard they leave a lot to be desired. I hear Geisemann bulbs are the way to go. What combination of color temps should I use? Any other suggestions are welcome too!