Search results

1. kare-bear

Thought I had QT's properly but....

Hello All, I have been reefing for about 7 years. I currently have a 1 year running 175 bow front built in reef. I have done QT on every fish and treated with Prazipro and Cupramine as a precaution. I coral dipped all frags. The only thing that I was not perfect on was adding crabs, snails...
  2. kare-bear

pricing for used stuff

I am getting ready to stock my aquarium. I was looking at local private sale items to get a deal. There is one ad. that is selling the tank contents in pieces. For 100 lbs of live rock at $6/lb and 100 lbs. of sand for $1/lb. He is selling everything in the tank first and then the equiptment...
  3. kare-bear

MegaFlow air intake elbow

Does anyone know where I can buy an air intake elbow for my megaflow overflow kit? I bought two kits and I'm missing one. Thanks
  4. kare-bear

quick easy question

In the sump what order should things go in. I have 2 used wet-dry sumps from a used tank that I'm using for my new set-up. I'm tying the two together and there are 4 chambers. Should the first be for the skimmer? Should the second and third be for the refugium and the fourth be for the return...
  5. kare-bear

Help with new set-up

I have been reading in the old posts and sticky's to find out how exactly to set-up my new tank. Is it 1 to 1 1/2 pound of rock per gallon? How much can be the cheaper base rock/how much live rock? What kind of sand is the best? What is cheap and still great? My tank is level and in the...
  6. kare-bear

Anemone advice

I have a beautiful healthy anemone in my 25 gallon. He has lived there for 1 year. I am getting ready to cycle my new 175 gallon. Eventually when the tank is ready I plan to move my existing corals and fish to the new tank. I have had a sand sifting star for 1 1/2 years but I read that they are...
  7. kare-bear

wavemaking decision

I have been doing alot of reading on wavemaking and I need to come to a decision in the next couple of days. I have a 175 that I will be filling with water soon. I like the compact size of the Koralia but does the wavemaker need a 'soft start?' also, I talked on the telephone to a catalogue...
  8. kare-bear

Who is Reef Sanctuary?

I have been getting great info from RS. I am starting to find my way around the site and I have become comfortable with several 'core member' advice. I am just hoping someone can give me a little info on the RS site. Who started this site? There are many people who spend a significant amout of...
  9. kare-bear

Caulk for used tank?

I bought a used tank and I want to recaulk it. Does anyone know what I should use and where I can buy it? The caulk on the tank now is discolored and I can't seem to clean off all the old algae. Should I remove as much as I can or just caulk over the old seams? Thankyou for reading.
  10. kare-bear

Where to get a big bowfront?

Hi, I have had fresh water tanks for years. I started a 24 gallon aquapod reef 1 1/2 years ago and I love it. It's time to get something bigger. I am pricing out a 72 inch bow front Oceanic to build into a wall. It's really difficult to figure out what I need to get. The local fish store can...