quick easy question

kare-bear

In the sump what order should things go in. I have 2 used wet-dry sumps from a used tank that I'm using for my new set-up. I'm tying the two together and there are 4 chambers. Should the first be for the skimmer? Should the second and third be for the refugium and the fourth be for the return and bubble reducer foam?
Where do I add the chiller? How much flow should the refugium get? I can bypass part of the flow from the skimmer to the return chamber. Do I add water to the top of the refugium and take the return from the bottom?
Do most people put sand/mud in the refugium. Should I have one with light and one dark? What about rock?
Does anyone understand what I'm trying to figure out? Any help is appreciated.

DaveK

Generally you want some sort of mechanical filtration first. In sumps today this is usually a filter sock.

Next you want your skimmer. It need not be in a separate compartment. The idea is you want to remove as much as possible before the biological filtration needs to deal with it.

Many people place the refugium next, but ideally it should be plumbed so that it's isolated from the rest of the sump. You usually want to have the water flow through it much slower then the rest of the tank.

That's usually followed by any chemical filtration you want, and lastly the return pump area. Make sure this chamber is large enough.

You place the sensor for the auto top off in the same section as the return pump, but you place the actual water tube so that it returns water to the overflow that is in or on the tank. This prevents the water line from acting as a siphon, and dripping water, even if the pump is off.

kare-bear

Thankyou Dave K,

I didn't plan on any chemical filtration. Is it necessary? I appreciate all your answers. Karen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Chemical Filtration is something that not everyone runs and those that do don't run it ALL the time. I always have some on hand in case I suspect something is "Off" in my tank. Some corals will wage "Chemical Warfare" against each other. During that time it's good to drop a back of carbon into that sump. It's also great at "Water Polishing" :)

kare-bear

OK thanks,
Just to clarify....a bag of carbon that just gets thrown into the sump? Where would I put it? In the return? Does all the water need to flow through it?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I drop it into the last chamber where the return pump is. Some sump designs have "chemical chambers" which are built into it where you pour the materials. I just have it in a mesh bag and submerge in the return chamber.