pricing for used stuff

kare-bear

I am getting ready to stock my aquarium. I was looking at local private sale items to get a deal. There is one ad. that is selling the tank contents in pieces. For 100 lbs of live rock at $6/lb and 100 lbs. of sand for $1/lb. He is selling everything in the tank first and then the equiptment. The pricelist includes crabs/snails at $2 each and a 2 headed frogspawn for $25. There are other fish listed...2 clowns $13 each or 2 for $20. Fire shrimp payed $25 asking $20. Purple tang for $90, payed $110.

I found a different set-up on a whole 180 gal. tank for sale. It includes 100 lbs rock, 100 lbs sand, nice fish and mixed coral, skimmer, sump, stand. everything for $2000.

I guess my question is.....what is a fair price for used goods? I would like a deal.....I don't want to ask for too much of a deal though.

I want to respond to these 2 ads. and possibly look at the stuff this weekend but I want to have a feel for what is fair pricing.

Thankyou for reading.....all opinions are appreciated.

tbittner

I don't know about prices in CA, but I just paid $4 per lb of tonga fusion rock from Dr. Mac (pacific east aquaculture). $6 seems a little high.

I also bought LR for my 120 from a guy who was tearing his tank down and I paid $2 per lb for it.

I bought a 450g tank for $500 and I bought a VERY nice stand for it (from the same guy) for another $500.

The 180 actually sounds like it might be a pretty good deal though, depending on the coral contents, lights, skimmer, etc...

BoomerD

It sounds to me like the guy selling things piecemeal is trying to recoup as much as possible from his set-up...while I certainly can't blame him for that, IME, his prices are outrageous.

kare-bear

I agree that the 180 gallon complete with stock/stand etc. is a good deal but I don't need any of the equiptment/tank. Would it be too bold to ask for the tank contents alone? The pictures of his set-up and pets are quite nice.

PEMfish

The first list of stock is too high, you can buy new for not much more. Talk him down for the used critters.
As for the 180, thats a pretty good deal IF the light, skimmer, and tank are good. Your call...
...All in my opinion.

kare-bear

Thanks for all the advice. I guess my main interest in the two sales is the live rock. If the 2 tanks were using tap water is the rock any good? I have a RO/DI unit set-up and ready to go.
I'm wondering if any of the mineral/heavy metals that are in tap water would still be in the rock. Should I just get my own rock at the store/on line?

tbittner

If they show pictures of corals on the LR, how do they look? If they look good, then the LR is good.