Caulk for used tank?

kare-bear

I bought a used tank and I want to recaulk it. Does anyone know what I should use and where I can buy it? The caulk on the tank now is discolored and I can't seem to clean off all the old algae. Should I remove as much as I can or just caulk over the old seams? Thankyou for reading.

lcstorc

As far as what to use, you can use regular caulk from the hardware store just make sure it is not the mildew resistant ext. You want 100% silicone.
Not sure if it is better to go over the existing seal or to take it all apart and do it again. I would probably remove the external part of the old silicone and re-do it.

panmanmatt

Chances are the new silicone will not stick to the existing stuff. In order to reseal it properly you will need to remove all of the old silicone and clean up the glass with an acetone or rubbing alcohol to remove any and all residues.

Personally if the tank is not leaking, I wouldn't mess with it. Unless done properly, you could actually do more harm that good.

kare-bear

is the tank leaking or you just want to reseal it?
I just bought the tank used last week. I am planning to build it into a wall and I thought I should have it recaulked for extra durability. It's in the garage, I just filled it up 1 hour ago with fresh water and there are no leaks.

prow

no leaks i would suggest you dont do anything to it. no caulk for sure, 100% pure silicone with no mildew resistant anything in it, like lynn mentioned, if you really feel the need. but i would think its less likely to leak if you leave it.

prow

dont know for sure. but my current tank i have had for about 18years and i bought it well used:)

Witfull

do a leak test outside of the house or in garage. fill with water and let it stand for a day....if its leaking you will know

Frankie

RS STAFF
Most tanks made in the 80's are good for 20 years of constant water. I know this from reading up on it. I wish i had the link about it but you can Google it if you like.