Help with new set-up

kare-bear

I have been reading in the old posts and sticky's to find out how exactly to set-up my new tank.
Is it 1 to 1 1/2 pound of rock per gallon?
How much can be the cheaper base rock/how much live rock?
What kind of sand is the best? What is cheap and still great?

My tank is level and in the wall but my RO/DI unit is not hooked up yet, can I start my cycle with tap water and use RO/DI water within 2 weeks to do water changes?

I understand the cycling part and it takes such a long time that I want to get started as soon as possible.....do I have to wait for the RO water?

I have a 175 gallon empty tank.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Do we have to lecture you on speed reefing hmm? :laughroll
LR the more porous the less you need, sand get the dry not live again depends on how deep your going? Tap water will leave a deposit thats going to hang around, the ro unit takes like 2 minutes to hook up lol, so get on it, now the important part. What are you doing,where are the pics? and keep firing off the questions.

kare-bear

Thanks for the reply. I just went to my LFS. They have premium live rock for $12/lb and regular for $7. It sound like I will need at least 100 lbs. They had base rock for 1.50/lb. but I think it's really dense.
The RO system is taking some time. My husband is trying to get an injections pump (or something like that) to connect the water through the attic to the kitchen. It really is taking a very long time. I know that tap water is bad but I thought that maybe just for curing the rock I could do it just once. I should wait.....
The 'dry sand' is that at the fish store? When I first set up my 24 gallon I bought a bag off the shelf at petco it was labelled 'live sand' is that what I should get?

ReefGuy69

since your looking to get so much live rock. i would really order online. it will be your best bet. since your just starting off cure it right in the tank that way u can get your rock really cheap, probably 2.50-3.50 per pound including shipping. i just ordered 75lbs a few months back from one of this sites sponsors Premium Aquatics INC - live rock and aquarium supply it was some nice stuff. i wouldnt pay extra for the wet sand that comes in a bag they should have the same sand but its dry. get that stuff it will do the same and its alot cheaper. i would skip the base rock its hard to find some good stuff and it takes forever to get growth on it. you wouldnt be happy with it. sounds like ur off to a good start. hope this helps. good thinking on waiting to fill it with ro water. patience is key in this hobby. you probably just saved yourself a headache.