Search results

1. moze229

Bryopsis-Trying to not Give Up!

Man, I don't know what the heck that is. LOL I've never seen that before. I'm no algae expert, but I've had my go at bryopsis and I'm glad that's gone for you. Looks like something that a tang would go after though. We've all got algae of some kind or another. As long as it's not too...
  2. moze229

Best Nitrate reducer

Hello StirCrayzy, Live rock actually harbors MOST of the beneficial bacteria needed to reduce nitrates in a system. (Unless you have a DSB) Adding more bacterial capacity will help reduce nitrate, not raise it. That's a good thing! :) Now if we are adding live rock that is not dead...
  3. moze229

Best Nitrate reducer

Don't start dosing stuff :) (carbon dosing - vodka) Take the conventional route for now. Carbon dosing introduces a whole other set of variables that will just complicate matters.
  4. moze229

I need another fish

Hey snid! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually not familiar with that fish. I'll have to look into it. Neat lookin' little feller. :) You're right. I should consider those who may not have experience taking things a little further than the norm. I tend to do that sometimes, but I...
  5. moze229

Best Nitrate reducer

This is also sound advice that I didn't think of.
  6. moze229

Best Nitrate reducer

The scrubber is not something that you need to get into right away anyway. Some people think that they are not worth the effort, or that they don't work at all. I HAD to have one because in my case, it was the only way that I could keep SPS in my smaller system. Otherwise, my phosphates are...
  7. moze229

I need another fish

Ahhhh … the sky is falling! :) Seriously though, I really appreciate the comments and advice on this matter. However, the title and purpose of this thread is to recommend fish. I did not ask for advice about my system. Realistically, I haven't given enough information for anyone to make...
  8. moze229

Bryopsis-Trying to not Give Up!

Bryopsis is a vile weed, and I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. How's it going by the way? I had this a few years back in my setup and it was a pain to get rid of. But, I did exactly as you are doing and it went away and I haven't seen it since. Kent Tech M kills it, but not right...
  9. moze229

DSB for my 45 gal JBJ Or not...

DSBs were, and still are a great idea. The problem with it is, no one actually follows Dr. Shimek's advice properly when setting them up. You need a fairly large tank to set one up properly to begin with. People were taking smaller tanks and assuming that adding the 4-5" of sand was a DSB...
  10. moze229

I need another fish

Hey DaveK! Thanks for the advice, but I'd have to disagree. While I'm usually more cautious than others about adding too many fish, I think I've graduated past the point one inch of fish per five gallons. This is an ok but outdated guideline usually stressed to beginners. This is what...
  11. moze229

I need another fish

Remember that clowns are damselfish, so they usually will not mix well with other damsels. Clownfish are usually pretty docile fish (besides the Maroon clowns), even when they are paired. They are not often kept in pairs alone for this length of time though. Sorry that you had your situation...
  12. moze229

I need another fish

I need more poo. I've had my 20 gallon nano set up since 2006, and I've had the SAME THING in there pretty much the whole time. Two o. clown fish. I like clown fish and all, but I'm ready to see something new. I don't want to get rid of my current fish necessarily, but I suppose that I...
  13. moze229

Reef newbie

As far as the clearance, 6" might be a little close but doable. I would get a fixture without optics. With the canopy and being that close to the water, you likely won't need them. You can always add them later if needed. (Usually. I'd make sure to get one that optics can be added to.) Read...
  14. moze229

Best Nitrate reducer

Thats a lot. Also, don't forget your substrate depth. That's a LOT of surface area too. I didn't know anyone was still running that deep a substrate anymore. I remember the good ol' DSB days. :) You should never be able to detect nitrates. I don't want to hijack reefle's thread. Sorry, reefle!
  15. moze229

Aiptasia: taking care of business

Sorry that you had that happen. Some people don't have luck with them, but I bought two that wiped out my entire tank of aiptasia many years back. I didn't have anything else but some crabs and clownfish at the time though, so they lived long prosperous lives. :)
  16. moze229

Best Nitrate reducer

In my opinion, water changes are important for replacing trace elements - that's it. With today's filtration methods and equipment, water changes for removing 'dirty water' to replace with 'clean water' is futile. Some people do many water changes, and others do none with similar results...
  17. moze229

really embarasing question

Not exactly, I recommend reading about the nitrogen cycle. That will clear your understanding of what you did, and why it may not have been the best idea. It's not the end of the world though. You'll just have to let your rock 'cure' longer now. None of this is ever going to make sense...
  18. moze229

Alkalinty Dropping Fast (or human error).

LPS corals will suck alk out of the water, and yours seem to be doing that. That's a good thing! Remember that alk and calcium are depleted together because of their relationship in the larger triangle of water chemistry - (alk, calcium, and magnesium). Alk will show signs of depletion well...
  19. moze229

Reef newbie

Welcome, I haven't dealt with that format of tank in ages. Hex tanks can be a little trickier to light because of the oblong dimensions. What you need to focus on here is penetration rather than the actual size of the fixture - in other words, intensity. Under $200 might be a little...
  20. moze229

Best reactor for GFO

When I used to use GFO, I used a 'Phosban' reactor. Don't recall who makes them - Two Little Fishies or something. LOL Comes with a gate valve where you can adjust the flow. Worked like it was supposed to. These are up-flow models which is supposed to create some sort of advantage. Never...