Search results

1. rostervandross

Water changes not helping nitrates, biopellets or algae scrubber?

hello reef forum friends, I'm trying to get serious about getting my nitrates down. There is not really any corals or fish suffering and my tank appears healthy as can be but it's gotten to the point that my api Nitrate test is maxed dark orange to red indicating 50-80 ppm and changing 30...
  2. rostervandross

New home made LED planted tank light

Hey fish friends , wanted to share my new light I put together (with the generous help of mr Stircrayzy!) made from 12 LED and some heatsink from rapidled.com. I basically cut the heatsink and glued it into a square / rectangle, and put 4 cool white, 2 warm white, 2 photo red, 2 royal blue, and...
  3. rostervandross

Glass safe pads to refurbish magnet scrubbers

I have an old magnet scrubber or two that I peeled the old scrub side pads off that had gotten old and rusted through. Now I'm looking for a material to glue back on, does anyone have some sort of scrubber pad they clean their glass with that doesn't scratch?
  4. rostervandross

New tank cycle with starter bacteria check out

just wanted to run my cycle progress so far by some other people and put it here so others can find it. So I filled my tank with fresh saltwater, added some instant ocean bio-spira, and then shortly after added a fresh Texas gulf shrimp :( A day in i got a jump in ammonia, with detectable...
  5. rostervandross

Noisy drains

So I got my tank filled up and find the drains to be pretty noisy after all. I think first I am going to try putting gate or ball valves on my drain lines to slow them down or fill the drain lines full from the valve up, then maybe drilling a hole and inserting an air tube if that doesn't work...
  6. rostervandross

Want to buy your old pump for water changing

Hey everyone, I am squeaking out water changes with a maxijet pump thats primary use is for auto top off and I'm looking around for a secondhand pump with a little more muscle that someone might have laying around. Thanks in advance!
  7. rostervandross

RosterV's 93G coral cube

Step 1 and Picture 1 . Setup action incoming!
  8. rostervandross

Thoughts on design of new tank

Hey reefing compadres, I have a number of options to choose from since I decided to buy a new little project tank to set up. Here is some background: I have this space approx 35"x 35" beside my bed and behind a bathroom door that I wanted to put a tank in so I can watch my reef come alive in...
  9. rostervandross

Creating An overflow

Hey everybody, I just came across this video and thought I might be able to modify the design a bit to create an overflow that would skim the surface proteins. I suppose I'd still have to drill the tank and Id need to look into that but I think this might be a better design than buying a hang on...
  10. rostervandross

Stand for a new aquarium

Hey everybody, wanted to get some thoughts on this: I got a 45 gallon cube and am either going to build a stand or put it on top of some other sort of furniture such as this thing here: do you think it would be ok to buy a piece of thick plywood / sheet wood and put it on top of this tv stand...
  11. rostervandross

Cube aquarium build thread

Hey everybody, I am in the beginning stages of planning a new tank. My budget is approx. $500, for that is what a new 93 gallon (30"x30") or used 150 gallon (36"x36")would have cost me. I am thinking presently that I will use acrylic. There is a local plastics company that took care of me with...
  12. rostervandross

Rascally snails bulldozing my coral frags

I have been having surprises to wake up to almost every day where a coral frag will get knocked down into tje sand or into one another and kill parts or each other completely. They already grow so slowly that it's really frustrating to have parts get damaged. Has anyone else lost several corals...
  13. rostervandross

Brine shrimp hatch rate

Hey everybody. for those of you that have hatched brine shrimp, how many would you say hatch from the eggs you put in the water? I am thinking I am getting maybe 30 to 40% tops. My hatchery is a little small and I am working on sealing the water in while the air tube is aerating, and maybe the...
  14. rostervandross

My feedback

For the fine men and women of Reef Sanctuary that have bought, sold or traded me aquarium things please post how I treated you!
  15. rostervandross

WTB rose anemone

Looking for a healthy acclimated anemone. a rose bubble tip or perhaps another type, I am open minded. Ryan
  16. rostervandross

Want to buy: your old equipment

i am on the look out for a few different things: Primarily: Lights: metal halide fixtures or led's you've upgraded from Skimmers Spare Pumps for water changing But also looking for miscellaneous tools for maintenance and fragging. Maybe chemicals or dosing equipment. Will update thread...
  17. rostervandross

maintaining alkalinity

Hey everybody, I am trying to look into dosing for alkalinity. Currently I am just manually adding a two part solution and use much more of the alkalinity solution than calcium. Adding Alk manually is also causing swings and it usually gets down to 6 or so by the time I test and then boost it...
  18. rostervandross

Nitrates building up; attempting new methods to export it

Hey everyone, I have a building nitrate problem, My ammonia and nitrite are 0 I have a 90g water volume and I am overstocked with fish. I also have very little algae in my tank. Could it be that I don't have enough phosphates and there is no growth that is utilizing the nitrates? I had...
  19. rostervandross

Fish stung by rabbitfish

Hello fish friends, So I recently got a few new fish and the triggerfish is not doing well. it can't seem to find balance in the water any more, and gyrates trying to swim when not locked into a hiding place. I am thinking it may have been stung. Is there any hope for him? I've put it in a...
  20. rostervandross

Check out my new water filter setup

Hey yall i just set up my new RO system this week and then added the DI stage from thanksgiving sales.. doing water changes and watering all the plants and animals haha. Check it out I am really happy with it. Kind of a hodgepodge system but it is unique and just has everything i want from...