Cube aquarium build thread

rostervandross

Hey everybody,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a new tank. My budget is approx. $500, for that is what a new 93 gallon (30"x30") or used 150 gallon (36"x36")would have cost me.

I am thinking presently that I will use acrylic. There is a local plastics company that took care of me with scrap 1/4 acrylic for my sump, so I will call them tomorrow to compare 3/8 and 1/2 " 4x8' sheets.

Will probably Look into glass as well but I think maybe acrylic would be a good material after reading through the working with acrylic thread stickied on this DIY section. I like the fact that you can bond it together with solvent.

I hope to make this aquarium 32"x32" by 18"- 20" high.

DaveK

Are you talking about $500 just for the tank, or for the entire setup?

Personally, I'm not too big a fan of acrylic, because it will scratch so easily. Hopefully you can get scraps to build your system. New 4 x 8 sheets are out of sight expensive.

You might look around for a large, glass rectangular tank. It should be less expensive. You will not likely get a cube, but you will get a nice size tank.

rostervandross

Yea Dave I agree with you across the board, and i am on the look out for a used glass 5-6' tank to fulfill the need of increasing tank volume. However this is a sort of purpose built tank that I am trying to fit in a square space between my bed and bathroom door. I am willing to waste a bit of money on a strange shape to be able to place it here where I can really lay and relax and watch the tank extendedly. CurrentLy my 75 g is in the "fish office" and sort of out of the way of where I spend most of my time.

WRT glass vs acrylic , I would prefer glass ( case in point my 40 year old 75g tank) and may find it a fair enough amount cheaper to work with. I'll check out acrylic price, I suppose right now I just have a presupposition that acrylic would be easier or more forgiving to work with, but if I spend my time and do it carefully maybe I could get the glass precise enough and have it be able to be used for much longer

Here's a really great calculator for dimensions for anyone else beginning a tank build:

Www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

rostervandross

Price check turns up:

Acrylic sheets 4'x8'

3/8" : $193
1/2" : $283

+ $25 labor to cut it

Need to ask about 3/4" sheets I think. 1/2 might not be thick enough to prevent bowing

Glass, on the other hand I was quoted at $1000 and then $730 from different places for 5 cuts and polished edges of 3/8" glass.

A 30"x30" marine land cube is $470.. Acrylic may be just less but it doesn't look like I can build a glass tank for less than I can buy one

PCDS

Custom build can be more about getting the exact shape and size you want but in this case not necessarily cheaper.

cracker

Also, the acrylic isn't a snap to work with either. All cuts have to be exactly straight & smooth . I envy those guys with the proper tools & skills to build a tank.

ReefDudes

I would personally do glass as acrylic scratches easier (scratches drive me. It's!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk