New tank cycle with starter bacteria check out

rostervandross

just wanted to run my cycle progress so far by some other people and put it here so others can find it.

So I filled my tank with fresh saltwater, added some instant ocean bio-spira, and then shortly after added a fresh Texas gulf shrimp :( A day in i got a jump in ammonia, with detectable nitrites, no nitrate. I'm four days in and over the last few days my ammonia has stayed detectable, nitrites 0 and nitrates climbing. My water is kind of cloudy. Basically I just jump started my cycle yes? The bacteria are growing and processing the shrimp correctly, but I never got a big jump in ammonia or nitrite because I already had a substantial bacteria colony?

Now I can take the shrimp out and clear up my water ?

Revan

I agree with the above. Nature WILL take it's course one way or the other. It's up to you to make sure it goes in the right direction though. ;) GL.

rostervandross

Sure that's the plan but the bacteria have multiplied already and are doing their job at present, they will multiply further with the shrimp left in, but when would you take the shrimp out and what's the difference between then and now? Simply put when is the cycle complete?

Revan

Like mentioned above, nature will take it's course. There really is no reason to remove that shrimp. Decomposition it's a bearing now... (parameters) GL.

Last edited:

rostervandross

Oh to be clear this is a serious jumbo shrimp. Frowny face above because it would have made a good snack

I think this might also be a good place to ask about nitrates. So your cycle is going and turning ammonia along into nitrates, as the nitrates build up what processes the nitrates and when are you ready to add first fish if your nitrates are high?

Last edited:

rostervandross

Reading through the posted thread up top on cycling, next step seems to be to maintain the developed aerobic bacteria and wait for the anerobic bacteria to develop while controlling algae.

So basically I just keep bacteria food in the water, I'll add light, order a skimmer and get it going wet, and as soon as algae develops I will add some snails and crabs?

DaveK

You keep the deli shrimp in there to insure you get a full complete cycle. Just because you have some ammonia doesn't mean your bacteria have reached their ideal amount. This is why you don't remove it.

Keep in mind that adding bacteria cultures only speeds up the process a little.

The cycle is complete when ammonia goes up and them back to zero, soon followed by nitrite going up and then dropping back to zero. At this point you may see some nitrate.

The whole idea here is to do you best not to get any algae blooms. Some people even do a 100% water change after the cycle is complete to reduce nitrates way down.