Search results

1. W

Whip’s RSR XXL 750 Hybrid Barebottom

Good to see you again Pat. I’ve been watching your third build thread. Good stuff. I’ll be looking for advice as I start my journey, so feel free to chime in.
  2. W

Thanks SPR. I’ll be happy to share my journey into this “hybrid barebottom” thing. I just hope it works. I’ll be leaning on you all for advice and support!
  3. W

Thanks for the welcome back Nano!
  4. W

So... what is a “hybrid barebottom”? Not sure... but this is what I want to do... I absolutely LOVE barebottom tanks, so to stick with the theme, I have decided to get 150 pounds of Tonga Shelf and cover as much of the bottom of the tank as possible. Upon this thin layer of Tonga, I will build...
  5. W

Good to be back again... and this time I’m coming back with a vengeance! For my entire life, I have bought secondhand aquariums so, this time, I figured I’d purchase NIB and, if I was going to do that... I might as well go big or go home! Before I drop some coin, I figured I’d be a little...
  6. W

Whip's 92 Gallon Corner Bowfront Chronicle

The barebottom on my RSM is pure purple and pink from the coralline. It is sweet! I have full access to the bottom. That's an awesome idea about the colored paper. So, after I find the right color, then what? Just use paper?
  7. W

New to reefing and totally obsessed! Inherited 29 gallon JBJ cube with compact

I started in a very similar way. Have fun and read, read, and read! YouTube is great too!
  8. W

The tank came with some Hydors that looked like they had saw better days, so I took those out and installed two new Jebao RW-15's. I love the pumps (have RW-4's in my RSM), but I hate the cords. I might get an MP-10 and MP-40 and hide them on the right hand side of the tank. I cut the rock so...
  9. W

Here are some pics of the basement area. I still have a lot of cord management to do, but I have about four weeks on my hands (waiting for dry rock to become live rock), so I'll take my time.
  10. W

Ok... I went barebottom with my RSM 130 and LOVE IT! Seriously. Step 1: Remove the sand. I did it in chunks during water changes, so now that is done. BTW, that really sucked. Step 2: Buy new Pukani! He had let the tank go. It wasn't an alge-fest, but the coral was few and far between. I liked...
  11. W

The back story... When I first began my journey in saltwater, I started with a used 12 gallon AquaPod. It was cool, but after a couple years or so I was lucky enough to pickup an immaculate used RSM 130 off of Cragslist for $400. Crazy enough, the previous owner lived about six minutes away. I...
  12. W

Hello All! Well, against my better judgement, I am stepping up in size from an RSM 130 to a 92. I did a reef chronical on the RSM forum and was debating doing one on my 92, but I remembered that it was fun to share with my new RS friends, I learned a lot for the RS community, and it helped me...
  13. W

DeLaReef's RSM 130

Aptasia-X works awesome. Seriously. You drip some on them, they think it is food and eat it, then they explode. It is really quite entertaining.
  14. W

Whip's "new to me" RSM 130

I've been thinking about it. Since it was fully stocked, I am a little bummed out that it wasn't set up from the start the way I would've set it up. Since I LOVE going bare bottom, the first thing I did was suck the live sand out. Because I did it in small chunks, that activity has taken about...
  15. W

On a personal level, bare bottom is the only way to go. My tank stays crystal clear, is extremely chemically stable, and has almost zero alge problems. Plus, almost the entire bottom of the tank is covered in coralline, so it is purple and pink and looks pretty cool.
  16. W

This little guy obliterated my copepod population. I didn't think it could be done, but he tore them up! I tried reintroducing more to the system, but either they didn't take or he dined on them until they went extinct again. I was afraid I was going to lose him, but he started eating frozen...