Whip's 92 Gallon Corner Bowfront Chronicle

whip

Hello All!

Well, against my better judgement, I am stepping up in size from an RSM 130 to a 92.

I did a reef chronical on the RSM forum and was debating doing one on my 92, but I remembered that it was fun to share with my new RS friends, I learned a lot for the RS community, and it helped me document my tank from start to current... so I figured why not take the time to do another chronicle!!!
image.jpeg

meknudson2

Hello All!

Well, against my better judgement, I am stepping up in size from an RSM 130 to a 92.

I did a reef chronical on the RSM forum and was debating doing one on my 92, but I remembered that it was fun to share with my new RS friends, I learned a lot for the RS community, and it helped me document my tank from start to current... so I figured why not take the time to do another chronicle!!!
View attachment 44601

Wow looking like it will be a nice setup I will follow.

whip

The back story...

When I first began my journey in saltwater, I started with a used 12 gallon AquaPod. It was cool, but after a couple years or so I was lucky enough to pickup an immaculate used RSM 130 off of Cragslist for $400. Crazy enough, the previous owner lived about six minutes away. I met with him (great guy), bs'd a bit, picked up my new/used tank and the rest is history.

Then one day I got a text... the same guy was getting out of saltwater and he didn't know if I was in the market or not, but ALL his reef stuff was on Craigslist. He started at $2,200; then was down to $1,100 by the time he texted me. I checked it out on CL, but I politely told him I was happy with the RSM and the price point and size was out of my league. There was a silence, then he texted $500? I jumped on it!

I won't bore you all with the details, but he had an entire bay of his garage completely full of reef equipment. Two fully stocked tanks (a 25 gallon rimless and the 92 corner) and two additional new 20 gallon tanks (with stand)... and lights and skimmers and sumps and pumps and... I could seriously go on and on. It was out of control. All of it was high dollar stuff and it took four truckloads to get it to my house.

So, just focusing on the 92:

1" SeaSwirl
Vertex Omega 150
Reeflo Snapper HP
Kessil A360
Sump (not sure what brand)
Custom Refugium (I have removed it for the time being)
BRS Deluxe GFO/Carbon Reactor
Reefkeeper Lite Plus

1 Blue Tang
2 Midnight Photon Clowns
1 Snowflake Clown
2 Mature Engineer Gobies (gave them to a friend as I am going barebottom with the tank)
1 Huge Brittle Star (like 10" tip to tip)
2 Maroon Clowns (in the 25 gallon rimless)

Last edited:

whip

Ok... I went barebottom with my RSM 130 and LOVE IT! Seriously.

Step 1: Remove the sand. I did it in chunks during water changes, so now that is done. BTW, that really sucked.

Step 2: Buy new Pukani! He had let the tank go. It wasn't an alge-fest, but the coral was few and far between. I liked his rock work, but he did the half circle wall thing and... well... I am kind of into minimalist-type aquascaping... so I gave most of the baserock to a buddy (the same one that helped me move this thing) and kept the Pukani in there so the some of the filter was left while I wait for the Pukani to cure/cycle.

Step 3: Aquascape. I didn't think I was going to do a chronicle at that time, so I didn't take pictures of the process. Long-story-short; I made a cardboard cutout of the footprint of the tank and went to town with the drill, sander, hammer, chisel, and epoxy. Mission accomplished!

Step 4: Wait. Put the Pukani in a 33 gallon trash can, filled it three-quarters of the way full, installed pumps and heaters, and now I just wait.

Step 5: Get bored waiting!!! I started cleaning the basement. The sump area was... well... needed a good scrub and some good wire management. Stripped everything out, cleaned it, and reinstalled it.

Last edited:

whip

The tank came with some Hydors that looked like they had saw better days, so I took those out and installed two new Jebao RW-15's. I love the pumps (have RW-4's in my RSM), but I hate the cords. I might get an MP-10 and MP-40 and hide them on the right hand side of the tank. I cut the rock so they will be hidden.

I must say that the SeaSwirl is cool. I didn't even know what they were before I got the tank. I totally dig it!

The sump thing is new to me. When I shut the pump off for my first water change... I have to say that I was freaking out watching the water level climb. It "almost" reached the top (about 1/8 of an inch). Looks like the previous owner did his math right!!!

His sump was a dump and I am telling you it was nasty beyond nasty. I did some reading and decided to put a filter sock on the inlets from the display tank overflows. Then I swamped it out. It is much better now, but could use one more good cleaning.

On thing that has me concerned... now that the tank is barebottom, all of the display tank lighting shines into the sump area. I am afraid that I'll have alge and coralline growing in the sump (and in my skimmer). I have two options...

Blind out the bottom glass from underneath or put starboard or something on top (under the rock). Not sure what to do. Anyone have an easy idea?

Last edited:

Kenreefer

Hi you're going to have a good time with this set up. I saw a 92 corner tank on cl but passed as I'm just done re siliconed a 55 corner, geees a big job. To test bottom colors try taping different color paper to the bottom, if you can get to it. You could try anything that way. We used metallic dark blue on our 40 breeder looks much better than the standard bright blue. It gIves you that deep sea feeling. Hope that helps. Enjoy the process.

whip

Hi you're going to have a good time with this set up. I saw a 92 corner tank on cl but passed as I'm just done re siliconed a 55 corner, geees a big job. To test bottom colors try taping different color paper to the bottom, if you can get to it. You could try anything that way. We used metallic dark blue on our 40 breeder looks much better than the standard bright blue. It gIves you that deep sea feeling. Hope that helps. Enjoy the process.

The barebottom on my RSM is pure purple and pink from the coralline. It is sweet!

I have full access to the bottom. That's an awesome idea about the colored paper.

So, after I find the right color, then what? Just use paper?

Kenreefer

Either use paper taped or paint it. If your bottom is purple and you like it, don't over think it. Paper is just an easy way to change it up. I put sand because I need the substrate for add bacteria. I'm still newbie. 7 months or so. Glad it was helpful.

Clint24

Congrats on the steel of a tank setup. [emoji106]. Lookin good so far. I'm gonna tag along if u don't mind?!?!
Is that a reef keeper controller in ur stand? I'm not very tech savy (country kid), but I have a brand new reef keeper elite with no instructions so it's just sittin n a box...is it hard to hook up?
Anyway, keep up the good work & looking forward to seeing it unfold!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk