Whip's "new to me" RSM 130

whip

Critter #3:

I know for a fact this is not aiptasia (I had that in my last tank), but I am not sure if I should kill it. It really looks like an anemone of some sort. Friend or foe?

View attachment 43514

I think Critter #3 might be aiptasia, but I am used to the brownish kind. This one is clearish. Friend or foe; who cares. It isn't particularly cool looking, so I won't miss it if it was a friend.

I'll blast it with some Aiptasia X.

Oxylebius

Critter #1

Could this be a Starfish of some sort?

View attachment 43512

I really hope this is a star, have you been able to confirm this. B/c it looks like it might be a worm and the type you don't want. Pls follow up on this one with us.

Critter #2:

This thing looks like a vase. I think I had them in my old tank in the sand, but I am rolling barebottom in my new tank and this is on the rock. It is way bigger than the ones I saw in the sand in my old tank. I would say it is over an inch long and maybe about 3/8" in diameter.

View attachment 43513

Looks like a Vermetid

Critter #3:

I know for a fact this is not aiptasia (I had that in my last tank), but I am not sure if I should kill it. It really looks like an anemone of some sort. Friend or foe?

View attachment 43514

There are 17 species of aiptasia and by the looks of it, it may be one of them, but I will not hazard a guess at id'ing it w/o being able to see its mouth and oral disc. If you would like to do more research on the list below, a couple of these do have a brownish color with white speckles on them.
Aiptasia californica
Aiptasia carnea Andres
Aiptasia diaphana
Aiptasia eruptaurantia
Aiptasia erythrochila
Aiptasia insignis
Aiptasia inula
Aiptasia leiodactyla
Aiptasia mimosa
Aiptasia mutabilis
Aiptasia pallida
Aiptasia parva
Aiptasia prima
Aiptasia pulchella
Aiptasia saxicola
Aiptasia tagetes

Critter (or stuff) #4:

This grew pretty fast. I originally thought it was a spong of some sort, but the spikes threw me off of the spong program. It is under the green mushroom. Any ideas?

View attachment 43515

Tunicates can sometimes be difficult to distinguish from sponges. In general, sponges feel “spongy” – compressing and then springing back when touched, while tunicates tend to resist compression. The siphons on solitary tunicates will usually retract if the animal is touched; sponges may have openings that resemble siphons, but these are not usually paired, and they do not retract. Colonial tunicates generally are slick and shiny while the surface of sponges is usually dull or porous. But, this is not always the case. This might be a colonial tunicate, any chance you can get a picture straight on?

whip

Thanks Oxy!

Can you please take a look at Critter #2 again? It is the big white thing (right below the Vermetid). After looking at what you identified Critter #4 as, I think Critter #2 is a Tunicates.

So #1 is bad news? I think it is NOT a star. It has four legs or extensions (clearish white with black stripes) and the move about under some sort of direction (not necessarily with the current). It hasn't moved locations, so I assume it isn't a star. What worm was on your mind and how bad is bad?

I agree with you ID of Critter #3. I took care of that one.

Ok, I'll try to get a better picture of Critter (or stuff) #4, so we can get on the same page. This is encrusting. I'll try to get a feel on it.

Oxylebius

Thanks Oxy!

Can you please take a look at Critter #2 again? It is the big white thing (right below the Vermetid). After looking at what you identified Critter #4 as, I think Critter #2 is a Tunicates.

Looks like a sponge from the pic, but hard to tell.

So #1 is bad news? I think it is NOT a star. It has four legs or extensions (clearish white with black stripes) and the move about under some sort of direction (not necessarily with the current). It hasn't moved locations, so I assume it isn't a star. What worm was on your mind and how bad is bad?

It may be a brittle star. They are nocturnal and will only come out at night, or close to lights turning off.

I haven't ruled out the possibility of the pic attached. So four legs? Or four antenna? This is why I asked if it is a worm.

You can always try this, and see if you can lure the thing out:

Attachments

• Eunicid.jpg
    Eunicid.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

whip

Ok... THAT thing is freaky! Haha.

I definitely don't have that bad boy roll'in in the tank!

Il try to get a better photo for you.

PS - Thanks for the help Oxy!

whip

You ever wait (and wait) for your tank to be perfectly ready for photos?

I am there :ashamed:

Every time I get ready for a big photo shoot, I buy a new frag, just dusted the rocks, just broadcast fed, or maybe have a coral that just isn't 100% yet.

Man, I just need to do it!!!

Give me a week! hehe :outtahere:

Desmond

Come on get that picture up the before and after will be worth it. I will be blasting the life outta my thread soon with pictures when I do new mods on my tank with sump rufous ☺

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

MarkD

Hi, can you use JB weld or JB quick, I'm guessing it wouldn't matter? It's obviously safe to use and holds up?

whip

Hello Everyone!!!

Sorry I have been absent. Work and kids/sports have been nuts!

Delareef... good to hear from you. I am going to checkout your thread and get caught up.

Here come some pics...

whip

Good afternoon, Hope you are doing oK. I like the way those LED lights fit that hood without removing the stock lighting. Do you have any idea of where can I buy those?

Thanks

Ricardo

Ecoxotic Panarama Pro. Sadly, they are discontinued.

I also did the Ecoxotic Stunner Strips. They're awesome. If I had to do it all over again... I would have just saved some coin and went with the stunners.

Buy them at Marine Depot or any big online shop.

Make sure to get the dimmer. It is worth the money.

Ricardo Muniz

Ecoxotic Panarama Pro. Sadly, they are discontinued.

I also did the Ecoxotic Stunner Strips. They're awesome. If I had to do it all over again... I would have just saved some coin and went with the stunners.

Buy them at Marine Depot or any big online shop.

Make sure to get the dimmer. It is worth the money.

Thanks for the input! I was looking at the website. Can you recommend what color combination and the number of strips for a RSM 130. See link below for products available.

LINK:
http://www.ecoxotic.com/stunner-led-strips.html

Thanks,

whip

I try to simulate a dawn, noon, dusk, night cycle.

Though I used mostly Panaramas, it would start the day with 445nm Blue, then go 8K White for high noon coupled with the 445nm/12K White and your RSM T5's for 4-6 hours, then drop the 8K White and leave the 445nm/12K White on coupled with a 445nm Blue for 2 hours, then drop the 445nm/12K White and leave the 445nm Blue on for a few hours, then go to your RSM leds for moonlight. Rinse and repeat.