Whip’s RSR XXL 750 Hybrid Barebottom

whip

Good to be back again... and this time I’m coming back with a vengeance!

For my entire life, I have bought secondhand aquariums so, this time, I figured I’d purchase NIB and, if I was going to do that... I might as well go big or go home!

Before I drop some coin, I figured I’d be a little proactive and take care of the things I hate the most... going to the LFS and getting RO/DI water, mixing saltwater in a bucket, and packing buckets all over my house. Like things I hate, I tend not to do them and my RSM 130 is a cesspool.

Here is my solution to solve some pain and agony...

AA5EB163-0A03-4B3E-B7EF-7C95DFABA048.jpeg
A13BC7AB-9117-49C4-98EB-864B5F7B1637.jpeg

Though untested as of yet, the Saltwater Mixing Station should do the following:

1. RO/DI Tank Fill
2. RO/DI Gravity Transfer
3. Saltwater In-Tank Recirculation
4. RO/DI Gavity Bucket Fill
5. Saltwater Gravity Bucket Fill
6. RO/DI Pump to Tank
7. Saltwater Pump to Tank

The RO/DI unit is in the laundry room cabinet, so a 3/8” hole in the wall to the garage was all it took to get RO/DI water to the upper tank (float valve controlled).

I will have to use a hose to get top off and saltwater to my tank. Luckily, I just go through the laundry room and around the corner and it’s a done deal (about 20 feet).

Last edited:

whip

So... what is a “hybrid barebottom”? Not sure... but this is what I want to do...

I absolutely LOVE barebottom tanks, so to stick with the theme, I have decided to get 150 pounds of Tonga Shelf and cover as much of the bottom of the tank as possible. Upon this thin layer of Tonga, I will build the aquascape. I have no clue what it’s going to look like, but I’m my mind it’s gonna look cool as hell... maybe:ponder2:

Last edited:

whip

Hi Whip

Great pictures so far and looking forward to the ‘hybrid barebottom’ design concept!

Thanks SPR. I’ll be happy to share my journey into this “hybrid barebottom” thing. I just hope it works. I’ll be leaning on you all for advice and support!

Pat24601

So... what is a “hybrid barebottom”? Not sure... but this is what I want to do...

I absolutely LOVE barebottom tanks, so to stick with the theme, I have decided to get 150 pounds of Tonga Shelf and cover as much of the bottom of the tank as possible. Upon a this thin layer of Tonga, I will build the aquascape. I have no clue what it’s going to look like, but I’m my mind it’s gonna look cool as hell... maybe:ponder2:

I love it!

Reactions: SPR