Search results

1. Eck36

Lighting intensity for frag tank

Starting a frag tank with a 40g breeder. I have a Reef Radiance Starfire laying around, I took it off the DT because somehow it's time got reversed (sunrise at night, moonlights during the day) but since my frag tank is in a storage room and the coral doesn't care what time it is I figured it...
  2. Eck36

use old tank to start new one?

My daughter wants to start her own reef tank and I was wondering if using some LR and water out of my tank would make the tank easier to start. I nay be way off, but would I be able to skip the cycling process this way? I could fill the new tank from my tank when I do a water change and then...
  3. Eck36

Don't think it's aiptasia

I have had this coral about 6 months (it came attached to the rock). About 2 months ago I noticed something at the base. I've been keeping an eye on them, and finally they got big enough to get a decent photo. Any time I have had aiptasia, it has a stalk like base, these don't. I need to...
  4. Eck36

LED mounting help

Need some advice please. I have 2 Starfires on the way from Reef radiance and I need some advice on how to mount them on my tank. I have a 93g frameless cube, so the standard mounting brackets won't work. I don't want to hang these from the ceiling, so if anyone has recommendations for a DIY...
  5. Eck36

Start up help

Thinking about going with a pipefish setup in my 29g cube. Water is cycled and waiting for me to make up my mind. I want to add a 10g fuge to grow pods and add volume, any suggestions on how to do an overflow on a biocube? If I get real brave, I might add a pair of seahorses. I'm testing the...
  6. Eck36

29g biocube take 2

After running my 29g for 18 months, I tore it down. It was over run with GHA and I was focusing on my new 93g cube. Well the 93 is running strong and I needed a new place to throw money away, so my wife suggested brining the 29 back to life in a new location. The GHA was a result of lots of...
  7. Eck36

RicordiaQuestion

Has anyone seen a ricordia do this? It was at the LFS and the owner had never seen it before either
  8. Eck36

Starting over, sort of

Looking for suggestions on the proper way to do this. I want to clear out my 29g cube. I'm thinking about taking the fish (2 clowns, 6 line wrasse and pygmy angel) and relocating them to the QT while I get the rocks cleaned off. I have a green hair algae issue and I need to redo the sand...
  9. Eck36

QT/ hospital tank-lesson learned

I guess I got cocky because I never had an issue with my 30g cube, but guess what, now I have learned a very important lesson. When people on this site think it's important enough to put it in their signature about a quarantine tank-do it! I spent $120 dollars this morning to by a 20g long...
  10. Eck36

Not a clue

I had to blackout my 29g to beat back the green hair algae that showed up one day, when I took the cover off my tank, this was laying in the sand.
  11. Eck36

cyphastrea help

What is the best location for a cyphastrea? I have 2 165 watt LEDs over my 93 cube. I have read some people had success in high light, while others insist low light. I'd like to hear from you guys where you have had the most luck with color and growth.
  12. Eck36

93 cube stocking advice

My tank is starting to cycle and its time to make a fish plan. This is where I need help. I would love at least 1 WOW fish, large and colorful. I already have a mated pair of clowns that will go in when it's time and want to figure out the rest of the group. I have pictures of my tank on my...
  13. Eck36

93g cube for x-mas

Let's see how this goes. My wonderful wife gave me a 93g frameless cube for Christmas, an upgrade from the 29g Bio-cube my daughter and I have been working on. Time for the 1st picture
  14. Eck36

Marine bettas

I'm kind of looking at a marine betta, wondering if anyone has had one. I've read quite a bit about it but I just wanted to know if anyone had any real life experience.
  15. Eck36

RO/DI question

My house has soft water, but I can connect to the water before it gets to the softener. My question is, does it matter what type of water my RO/DI system is connected to?
  16. Eck36

need heater suggestions

I'm doing a 93 gallon reef tank, and I was looking for suggestions for a heater. Should I do a single 300 watt heater or 2 150-200 watt heaters? Also I would like some input as far as the best brand to go with. I need a heater that is under 14" long and can be fully submersible. Thanks for...
  17. Eck36

It's go time

Last year before x-mas, I posted that I thought I was getting a gift. A gift that was around 110 gallons. Apparently I was on the naughty list, but I have changed my ways and a 93 gallon frameless cube is on it's way. Here is where I need help. My daughter and I have had a Biocube 29 up and...
  18. Eck36

Freebie, good or bad?

This brown thing came on a frag I bought a couple weeks ago. When I put it in my tank it looked like a brown spot on the rock. 2 weeks later, it is about the size of a dime. What is it, and should I keep it?
  19. Eck36

Ninja shrimp

I was cleaning the fuge in my bio cube when I saw what I thought was aptasia. I set a piece of LR rubble in the DT so I could take a pic to post for a positive ID. In the time it took me to get my phone out, one of my peppermint shrimp made the ID for me. This is all I got before my battery...
  20. Eck36

Don't let me mess this up

Beginner question, what's the best way to remove corals from the plugs? It is probably real simple, I just don't want to kill anything. Should I just use a sharp blade and cut right along the plug? I'm most concerned with my pagoda cup coral, I spent a lot of time finding a happy place for it...