Don't think it's aiptasia

Eck36

I have had this coral about 6 months (it came attached to the rock). About 2 months ago I noticed something at the base. I've been keeping an eye on them, and finally they got big enough to get a decent photo. Any time I have had aiptasia, it has a stalk like base, these don't. I need to figure out if they need to go or not, they grow quick and I have about 5 now, all on 1 rock. I do have quite a few ricordea that are popping up all over the place, but these are a different color and I don't see the center disc.

Blue Space

Definitely some type of anemone. Looks like the same type of structure as my rbta... You can also see the "bubble tips" on the one lowest in the picture. Though, they could also be manjano anemones (they have "bubbles" too), which some consider pests.

Last edited:

DaveK

Those are Manjano Anemones. Yes, they look almost like a small BTA. Manjano anemones are considered a pest anemone just like aiptasia, and they should be removed the same way. If left unchecked, they can really over run a tank.

Eck36

Thanks for the help. At least they are all isolated to 1 small rock, so I should be able to contain the issue.

Pat24601

Kill, kill, kill

Indeed, I've never seen Manjano before, but I've read about it. Depending on how big the rock is and how important it is to the scape, I might even just swap the rock out. But, I am an extremist when it comes to bad hitchhikers. I did have to deal with aiptasia once and it made me very bitter. :)

Oxylebius

Some manjanos are pretty, florescent green. The major issue is that they spread fast and sting other corals and fish. They make themselves a nuisance in tanks in a way that no one wants them. Some folks may consider keeping them for awhile, I've read posts on this, but sooner or later they get fed up with the multiplying and stinging. To each their own, what is a weed to one person is a beautiful flower to another. Unless that weed stings and takes over :bounce: