QT/ hospital tank-lesson learned

Eck36

I guess I got cocky because I never had an issue with my 30g cube, but guess what, now I have learned a very important lesson. When people on this site think it's important enough to put it in their signature about a quarantine tank-do it! I spent $120 dollars this morning to by a 20g long, powerhead, test kit and copper medication because a fish I added to my tank had ich. That $120 is nothing compared what I am dealing with now. Black ice clown-gone, Picasso clown-gone and the powder blue tang? Gone. Never again. I don't really want a lecture, I know what I did, I just want others who are new to this hobby to understand what can happen when you think it can't happen to you. I am not an old pro like a lot of people on RS, and sometimes you just need to listen to those who have the experience. It will save you in the long run. That's all I have to say, now I am going to sit and look at my cube with water and rock in it for the next 5 or so weeks hoping that maybe I can enjoy the corals. They grow so slow.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So sorry to hear ! :( Thanks for sharing hopefully it will help someone save their fish, ich is a real bummer ! Follow the instructions by Lee Birch in our disease forum on the ich & you will be going again in a couple months, again sorry to hear you lost your beautiful fish ! Enjoy your corals and work on them & the time will go by faster - congrats on your new QT tank !

Pat24601

It does seriously suck to lose fish, but a couple months working on coral will go by faster than you think. I know your post is more about the disappointment and being down about that, but lots of us have had bad stuff happen and those that haven't will have later. It's how you bounce back (after you've come to terms with the blow) that matters.

Adrienne

Sorry for your loss. I don't have a QT tank either. One of my fish did develop ich about a month after I got him, but I was lucky as it disappeared after a week with nothing else affected.

DaveK

I guess I got cocky because I never had an issue with my 30g cube, but guess what, now I have learned a very important lesson. When people on this site think it's important enough to put it in their signature about a quarantine tank-do it! I spent $120 dollars this morning to by a 20g long, powerhead, test kit and copper medication because a fish I added to my tank had ich. That $120 is nothing compared what I am dealing with now. Black ice clown-gone, Picasso clown-gone and the powder blue tang? Gone. Never again. I don't really want a lecture, I know what I did, I just want others who are new to this hobby to understand what can happen when you think it can't happen to you. I am not an old pro like a lot of people on RS, and sometimes you just need to listen to those who have the experience. It will save you in the long run. That's all I have to say, now I am going to sit and look at my cube with water and rock in it for the next 5 or so weeks hoping that maybe I can enjoy the corals. They grow so slow.

Consider this part of the educational process. The important thing to do when you have a disaster strike your system is to move on and try again.

Over the years, I have done a lot of things wrong and had a lot of tank crashes for various reasons. I only got to the point I am at today because of the errors and problems. Over the years I think I have made just about every mistake it's possible to make. Don't let it get you down.

Oxylebius

Did any fish survive?
You mentioned a QT, are you treating fish in that now?

Just to make sure, I have to ask, you aren't going to treat the DT w/meds right? This is not something that is recommended.

Do you have corals or other inverts in the display tank, if so, it is a good time to evaluate what you have and make any changes to it. All the inverts will live happily in the DT while all the fish are in QT.

Eck36

Did any fish survive?
You mentioned a QT, are you treating fish in that now?

Just to make sure, I have to ask, you aren't going to treat the DT w/meds right? This is not something that is recommended.

Do you have corals or other inverts in the display tank, if so, it is a good time to evaluate what you have and make any changes to it. All the inverts will live happily in the DT while all the fish are in QT.
I have a couple blue green chomis that are still around. I'm pulling them from the DT as soon as I can catch them, and going to the QT. I wasn't going to medicate the Dt, I was told it's best to let the cycle run it's course. I'm going to use this time to clean up the rock make a coral plan, and maybe add some corals to keep me occupied.
All I have in the tank for inverts are several varieties of snails,a tube anemone, a couple cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. For corals I have a couple plating montis, a duncan, acan, a frag with some zoas and a ricordia and finally a cyphastrea.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry about your losses & that you are having to deal with all this. :blue:
I think you have a winning attitude and hope you have the patience to stick with your plan.
Getting those chromis out might be a tough chore....I have 3 and they are fast, evasive swimmers. Get them out ASAP so that your tank's dormant time can begin.
When it is safe to start adding fish back, add them very slowly & no tangs.
In a 30g tank you are pretty much maxed out with 3 or 4 small fish.
Updates would be appreciated :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing, hang in there & very best wishes...:cruiser:

Eck36

Sorry about your losses & that you are having to deal with all this. :blue:
I think you have a winning attitude and hope you have the patience to stick with your plan.
Getting those chromis out might be a tough chore....I have 3 and they are fast, evasive swimmers. Get them out ASAP so that your tank's dormant time can begin.
When it is safe to start adding fish back, add them very slowly & no tangs.
In a 30g tank you are pretty much maxed out with 3 or 4 small fish.
Updates would be appreciated :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing, hang in there & very best wishes...:cruiser:
DianaKay- I forgot to mention that this is happening in my 93g cube. The 30g only has water quality issues and the corals couldn't be happier about it. I think I can watch my monti grow and it seems like the candy cane is popping a new head out every month our so.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
DianaKay- I forgot to mention that this is happening in my 93g cube. The 30g only has water quality issues and the corals couldn't be happier about it. I think I can watch my monti grow and it seems like the candy cane is popping a new head out every month our so.
That makes lots of difference then :thumbup:
But even harder to catch those Green Chromis out tho :confused:
You'll be staying busy and time will make the tank safe again. Having another tank will help time go by.
I love my neon green candy cane & was just thinking how much it has grown. I have fragged & given some of it away & still have 4 times what I started with. :)

DaveK

Consider this part of the educational process. The important thing to do when you have a disaster strike your system is to move on and try again.

Over the years, I have done a lot of things wrong and had a lot of tank crashes for various reasons. I only got to the point I am at today because of the errors and problems. Over the years I think I have made just about every mistake it's possible to make. Don't let it get you down.

This post has received more likes that anything I have ever posted. Thanks everyone for your support.

Eck36

Cheers to everyone who didn't give up in the face of adversity !

Eck, try to catch those chromis at 4am while they're sleepin.
But thats when I am sleeping!!! They are on to me, I have 2 nets sitting in the tank waiting for them to e out from under the rocks, as soon as I get within 3 feet of the tank, boom! back under the rocks.

Pat24601

We should say THANKS DaveK! much more often than we do. DaveK you are so awesome to give help and knowledge from your experiences so:
Thank You for all your posts!!

This is true, but what are you going to do? Tell him how awesome he is everytime he posts? :)

@DaveK, I think anytime someone with your creditials can point out you've been there before, it makes us all feel better. :)