Search results

1. reefracer

Hanna checkers

I got the checkers for Christmas, phos, calc, and alk. Not easy as I was hoping but ok. What I didn't like was there is not a chart with them to tell you if your good or not, do anyone know where there is charts for these? my phos was 000, the calc 516 and alk was 87. I don't know if these last...
  2. reefracer

Are you happier with substrate or "bare bottom"

I like the "look" of substrate in a tank w/exception of brown glass edges, I like the substrate creatures, but what I do not like is the build up of "dirt, fish poop, etc" and am starting to have some thoughts about taking out the substrate and going "bare bottom". Should I be so bold? What do...
  3. reefracer

Invest in new pump or update skimmer?

I guess you see this a lot but I feel it is time to ask the question. I have a fairly old ASM G3 skimmer, on the second Sedra 5000, one of them I did a mesh wheel, the other just the pin wheel but starting to show signs of needing replacing. I am thinking of one of the newer style skimmers...
  4. reefracer

I Used To Dread Time To......

I run two TLF reactors tee'd off of my return line, one for GFO pellets, one for carbon. I believe in the benifit of both however I always dreaded the ordeal of rinsing the mediums, especially the carbon.What a mess and if you do it in the lavartory the wife goes on and on about what is this...
  5. reefracer

Cerith Eggs - Yucky!

I am so pleased with this simple little discovery I made today I thought I would pass it on. If your like me and have read some of the reasons to keep your hands out of the tank as possible this comes in handy. My ceriths seem obligated to repopulate the earth and I just hate those slimy egg...
  6. reefracer

Branching Hammer

My hammer looks healthy except some of the heads are popping off. They still look healthy after that on the sand bed. And where they popped off the branch there are two or three little ones growing on the side of the branch. What is that all about? Anyone had this sort of experince? Not really...
  7. reefracer

Another T5 Question

I am running the NEP 36" on a 24" deep tank and have been pleased with it. I use the 2 atinic bulbs stay on longer for some night time lighting. I have beening running it for about 12 mo. and need someone to recommend what six bulbs to purchase. I'm sure most of them are better than the...
  8. reefracer

A. Scrubber= An end to all ill?

Ok SantaMonica, I've been reading and learning, I am just about ready to pull my ailing skimmer out of my sump and fab up a scrubber. I have 12"x12" which should be plenty for a 90 gal reef. I just wonder if any have gone back to using skimmers after going to scrubbers and if yes why?
  9. reefracer

What has dual Pipes?

Can you see the twin pipes coming from underneath the coral, what is that? I have seen feathers in single tubes but not duals like this, also I've never seen anything in these pipes. Anyone know what this could be?
  10. reefracer

My Percula laid eggs!

I've had the pair about 1yr and just week before last asked a friend how old did they have to be to start laying, which he answered about 1.5yr. He must be right cause the next week I saw the eggs on my back glass and they both mouth them taking turns but the little male does most of the guard...
  11. reefracer

? on branching hammer

I've a ten head, er was a ten head now a nine head hammer. We were gone for a week so I decided maybe a good time to leave lights off on the tank. When I came back one of the heads was gone, others looked ok. Only thing I can think of other than the dark tank is about a week prior the hammer...
  12. reefracer

My Hammer

Since I fed my Trach and it looked really good for a day and then withered away I've been real weird about target feeding any corals. Can you see the bulbous areas and what is it doing? I would hate to loose it:cry1:
  13. reefracer

Trach Brain

I've seen lots of pics of lobo and trach brains that were showing some of the white skeleton material protruding through the flesh covering. I've had mine for over 2 yrs and this week it is starting to do that, I am very unhappy with that. BTW, what up with that condition? Normal, stressed...
  14. reefracer

Coral bleached,need advice

I added some live rock from the gulf that has lots of varied life forms some of which are corals. There are many small colonies and some singles. On top of the rock at the top of my "reef" is a nice specimen about 4" tall. Trouble is it seems to bleach out on the side the light hits directly...
  15. reefracer

Unusual Event

I got to wittness for me at least an unusual event last night. I had my lighting timer set so the lights all go out at 8:30 pm and tired of missing seeing my tank due to working late and other things, I decided to alter the "daylight" hours to benifit me. Lights had been out for less than 1 hour...
  16. reefracer

small blue legs

Noticed two things different in the tank tonight. One was a molt from a blue legs and the other a very small blue legs crab in a cerith shell. I have never seen the little guy before. Is it possible he was born and raised in the tank?
  17. reefracer

Bsj On The Way!

Hey guys I will be a first time BlueSpot keeper maybe later this week! I have one being held at supplier now while I fill an order. Only other fish in my 90 are a pair of Percula. Question: ya'll ever use a piece of pvc to coax the fish to make their burrow where you want it? I was just...
  18. reefracer

Phosban question

How long to you run phosban? All the time or what?
  19. reefracer

Need advice adding lr please

I am getting 30 lb of rock Tue. from Gulf View. I talked to Dale yesterday and he told me he will dive for it Monday, pack it up and send overnight USPS direct to me. I asked him about the process of introducing into my tank as it is established with sand and 125lb rock now. As for livestock 2...
  20. reefracer

Snails!

Do you think snails actually try to "go with the flow" or do they end up in the overflow just because they actually travel everywhere and it just seems like they go overflow because it is a pain to get them out? And another thing why do you think they would want to crawl up the glass and out of...