Branching Hammer

reefracer

My hammer looks healthy except some of the heads are popping off. They still look healthy after that on the sand bed. And where they popped off the branch there are two or three little ones growing on the side of the branch. What is that all about? Anyone had this sort of experince? Not really what I would like. Has something gone wrong with the water or coral?

cbrownfish

It is called "polyp bail out". This is the result of some sort of stress. Flow too high, water parameter issue, war with an adjacent coral, etc. The lost polyps are likely to perish but in some cases, putting the polyps in a low flow area with some rubble can allow them to reattach and reform a new skeleton. Not too likely but it is possible.

reefracer

I figured possible reaction to stress, there was instance of falling into another coral and getting too close more than once. Also moving around to find a good spot. So low flow and low light are correct for this coral?

cbrownfish

My Euphyllia is a few inches under my 250W halide. They do not require high light per se, but I would definitely not consider them a low light animal. Moderate to high light, low to moderate flow.