Coral bleached,need advice

reefracer

I added some live rock from the gulf that has lots of varied life forms some of which are corals. There are many small colonies and some singles. On top of the rock at the top of my "reef" is a nice specimen about 4" tall. Trouble is it seems to bleach out on the side the light hits directly, also many of the small colonies that are on top the rocks bleach, but I'm mostly concerned with the large specimen. They seem to be brownish tan, not really colorful but I'd like for it to do well. I have a nova extreme pro for lighting, it's the 36" on a 90 gal tank. I've heard of acclimating coral to the lighting but I can't really move it lower because it is growing on the rock and don't want to tear down the reef. I was wondering about putting something on the clear cover of the light so it would shade just that coral, anyone have experience doing that? Do you guys think that is a good idea that will work?:help1:

jjohnson3

If you do not want to dissasenble your reef I would apply MANY sheets of acrillic on top of the tank. Once a week remove one sheet. I would do this over the corse of about a month.

yungreefer2410

`use window screens and remove one every 3 days to a week. i would do like 6 layers. acrylic is clear so i don't really see how that would help.

reefracer

The screen sounds like an idea that I can really work with, after all it won't have to be on the tank I can put it onto the bottom of the light and take off one per week. Also, won't have to cover the entire thing, just the area over the coral. Great! I'll post the results.