Search results

1. J

Sockless

Well I took the plunge and tossed the sock. I have been running with a filter sock for the last couple years but after reading of so many folks running without it I decided to give it a try. I am all in favor of less work...... First observations after a day... I see more particulate mater...
  2. J

Sump flow and return pump

I have just upgraded to a 120g three days ago. I am going through allot of new tank setup questions that I learned awhile ago and now re-learning. My new tank has a larger sump and a larger return pump. I have an external Blue Line 40X which cranks out 1270gph. This pump seems way loud...
  3. J

Glass Cleaning

I just bought a new used 120G that was setup for 5 yrs. Prev owner was running SPS with CA reactor so there was allot of dead coraline to cleanup off the overflow etc. I cleanned the glass with a single edge razor blade but noticed after it was dry that the ends still do not look perfectly...
  4. J

Houdini in the overflow...

Well Houdini (solarensis wrasse) found his way into the mesh covered overflow box. I can't seem to get him out..... Has anyone had any luck with them just jumping back out? I removed the mesh and hope he gets the idea. Other thoughts welcome...
  5. J

Montipora Orange Cap -- Stressed? Dying?

Background: I have been raising my Alk and CA through the use of the 2 part recipe 1 solution. I brought up my alk from 5.8 to 8.5 and CA from 375 to 400 over 3 days. I added the solution slowly but in hindsight I did see a white cloud over the orange cap area during one of the additions. I have...
  6. J

Cleanup of Temp Quarantine Tank

Well I used a temp setup tank for quarantine of some new fish and I am planning to take it down. It has some hair algae and some cyno spots on the bare bottom. The tank had a bio wheel filter in use. What should I do for cleaning this up to be shure I get rid of the cyno and hair algae...
  7. J

Quarantine Tank Setup

The risks to a main display are great without one. So what have you found to be cost and time effective? How big QT tank? Setup with rock? fish? some corals? sand? Filter? berlin? sump? skimmer(HOB)? canister? Lighting? Compact? T5? Nano kit tank? Do you setup only when needed or...
  8. J

ID Needed - Friend or Foe?

I bought some frags and found these spider looking things (3) came off of a zoo frag during the coral dip process. Any idea what they are? They looked like very thin spider creatures about the size of a pencil head. They died in the coral dip but I am still curious. (sorry for the bad picture...
  9. J

Frag Purchase from individuals

Well I am attending my first local reef club meeting tomorrow and they are selling some frags from other member tanks. Any suggestions on bringing new frags into my display from this event? I do not have a quarantine tank. Should I just dip in a commercial coral dip like I do other corals I get...
  10. J

Fox Coral

Check out this new Fox Coral I picked up last week. Sweet........... Everything I have read says that they are easy to keep but prefer lower flow. Anyone have one? Tips on keeping her healthy?
  11. J

ID Needed - Snail Eggs?

ID Needed. Are the white dots snail eggs? I have had small snail looking organisms on the glass lately.
  12. J

ID Needed - Macro?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj166/nordicsons/macroalgae.jpg ID needed. Is the green a type of macro algae?
  13. J

Frogspawn Dip

Well my seven head frogspawn has not been looking as good since I added a new cleaner shrimp about a month ago. The cleaner shrimp seems to like to live next to it and pick food etc from it. I moved the frogspawn and decided to use a coral dip tonight. A whole lot of brownish small stuff came...
  14. J

Auto Top Off Unit - Kalc Dosing

I installed an auto top off unit three weeks ago and wow, how did I ever live without it. My water is now always at the same level, parameters more stable, and skimmer working better. I bought the deluxe kit from Aquahub with the backup level switch, and an extra level switch for my fill bucket...
  15. J

Chaeto in tank

I have been reading lately about the benefits of a refugium and macro. I saw a writeup where some folks put Chaeto in the display tank hidden behind the main rock or another where they used a plastic holder from a kitchen supply store with suction cups that held about 6-8" by 2" wide and...
  16. J

Nori Question

Is the Nori in the supermarket sushi department the same as the fish store name brand package stuff? Is it good for our fish?
  17. J

Canapy Placement Order of T5s

I was thinking, does it matter what order the lights are placed from front to back in the canapy. I have a 75G with a canapy with 4 T5s (2 actinic and 2 regular with each pair on a separate timer). The actinics are on for 2 hrs before and after the regulars. Should they be installed front to...
  18. J

Phoshate reducer

I used some RoWaphos absorber before I got my DI on the RO/DI to keep my phosphates down. What can be expected as the useful lifespan of a bag (in months)? Is there anyway to tell if it is all used up besides testing? I have a bag that I took out about 6 months ago and was thinking of putting...
  19. J

Kalk questions

Well I have been reading that lots of folks drip kalk and are happy with the results. Also, my pH of mixed RO/DI water is 8.0 which is a little low. So... I started the low end drip method this week to see how my tank likes it. Dripping 1 g/day mixed with 1 tsp/gal into the sump of a 75G tank at...
  20. J

Open Brain Question

I bought this open brain one week ago and I am seeing tissue recession from the 3 oclock to 5 oclock position in the last couple days. He is located in the center of the tank in the sand. Today it seems to be spreading in toward the center area a little bit. Is there anything I should be doing...