Frag Purchase from individuals

Jake

Well I am attending my first local reef club meeting tomorrow and they are selling some frags from other member tanks. Any suggestions on bringing new frags into my display from this event? I do not have a quarantine tank. Should I just dip in a commercial coral dip like I do other corals I get from the store? or is there something else I should do? or is it too risky from someone elses tank? I have not read in the past where anyone has had any issues from any previous events.

Adam Black

Well I am attending my first local reef club meeting tomorrow and they are selling some frags from other member tanks. Any suggestions on bringing new frags into my display from this event? I do not have a quarantine tank. Should I just dip in a commercial coral dip like I do other corals I get from the store? or is there something else I should do? or is it too risky from someone elses tank? I have not read in the past where anyone has had any issues from any previous events.

It's always best to quarantine the frags before you put them into your display but not everyone has the luxury. I would at least do a Iodine dip in a bucket of salt water. DON'T put anything in your tank without a little dip first:)

lcstorc

ORCA, BARS or both? LOL I may or may not be there. Have a big day scheduled but if I can get done in time I'll be at both. ORCA has more frags but both are usually fun.
I would treat frags from people's tanks the same way you treat corals from the lfs. IMO if anything there is less risk from a fellow hobbiest than a LFS.
Hope to see you tomorrow.

What exactly do you guys use to dio your corals in before placing them in your tank? And, do you dip ALL corals or just certain species?

Jake

Hi Lynn, ORCA if I can make it. Hope to see you there. Unfortunately no quarantine tank. As far as dips I have used ReVive before. It smells like tidy bowl or some kind of household cleaner. It seems to work and is what one of the LFS use. I only started using this a couple corals ago. No experience with other dips. I have heard others say iodine dip but I have not used it.

Adam Black

Hi Lynn, ORCA if I can make it. Hope to see you there. Unfortunately no quarantine tank. As far as dips I have used ReVive before. It smells like tidy bowl or some kind of household cleaner. It seems to work and is what one of the LFS use. I only started using this a couple corals ago. No experience with other dips. I have heard others say iodine dip but I have not used it.

Bars had a frag swap a few months ago, so that was the first time I used Iodine. It worked but lost some color in the Sps pieces I got. Jake where are you from? Florida?