Glass Cleaning

Jake

I just bought a new used 120G that was setup for 5 yrs. Prev owner was running SPS with CA reactor so there was allot of dead coraline to cleanup off the overflow etc.

I cleanned the glass with a single edge razor blade but noticed after it was dry that the ends still do not look perfectly clear. My guess is old coraline or growth stain on the glass.

What is the best way to get the glass super clean before loading with water without posioning the tank?
Vinegar? something else?

BLAKEJOHN

Muratic acid... mixed 10:1 (10 water:1 acid). less than 30min and it will disolve any calcifed material. Then a good rinse and tank is ready. I use this on all of my pumps. Tank is only shut down for an hour and every pump is cleaned spotless.

DaveK

Muratic acid... mixed 10:1 (10 water:1 acid). less than 30min and it will disolve any calcifed material. Then a good rinse and tank is ready. I use this on all of my pumps. Tank is only shut down for an hour and every pump is cleaned spotless.

This method does work, but I consider muratic acid to be a fairy dangerous chemical to handle. Use proper precautions, like eye protection, and rubber gloves.

I'd try vinegar first and use muratic acid only if the vinegar didn't work.

Jake

Thanks. I do have muratic acid for my pool and use frequently in there so I am familiar with the power of the vapor. I will try again with vinegar a couple more times first since the tank is in the house now and is not the lightest thing to move around. But if not, back outside it will go for the muratic cleanup.