Open Brain Question

Jake

OpenBrainIssue.jpg

I bought this open brain one week ago and I am seeing tissue recession from the 3 oclock to 5 oclock position in the last couple days. He is located in the center of the tank in the sand. Today it seems to be spreading in toward the center area a little bit. Is there anything I should be doing besides just watching? Hopefully this is not brown algae infection? Bleaching?

Param: 1.025, 8.0, Nitrite/Nitrate/AMN 0, Alk 4.3, Ca 375. I am bringing the Ca up over the next couple days by increasing my dosing.
Lighting: 4 T5s individual reflectors

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
thats an injury, probably from bringing it home, I would get a piece of pvc, big enough dia to support it, stick that in the sand and put the brain on the pedestal, even sand will irritate it now, make sure its got nice flow as its probably going to loose a bit of flesh, if you have cleaner shrimp or crabs get one of those tomatoe baskets from the store and protect it, good luck!

Jake

Just to the left of the brain is a large rock that is relatively flat, can I put him on that? However, it will bring him about 3" closer to the light.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
no rock! the object is to halt irritation, float it in space. you can use a glass or whatever

Jake

Got it. I will see what I have in PVC. I like the idea of the vegetable plastic basket cover since it will protect and still let the flow in. Should I stop spot feeding for a week and only tank feed cyclopeeze etc? I spot fed 6-8 missus 3X this last week.

Jake

openbrainskeleton.jpg

I went out for a couple hours and it is loosing flesh fast. The skeleton is showing in the area in question. It has extended all the way to the mouth which is open all the time now. Well at least it is white..... for now. Not sure what is next since this is my first coral with a problem?

rmlevasseur

yikes, i can sure see it now.

I'm not an expert by any means on this subject, but I have heard of people using super glue on the receding edges to try to stop it from happening more. Don't try it until you've researched this a little though, as I've never done it myself.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ive tried superglue and it may or not help, the flesh isnt just falling off its probably being eaten, it can grow back like it never happened but your gonna need protection and luck

Jake

Well bad news it is speading to the other lobe today. About 1/3 is now white skeleton. I used a coral dip tonight so hopefully that will help some. Now that there was some loose flesh I saw my purple tang brushing against it, solerensis wrasse picking, and cleaner shrimp on it.

Would it be better to cover the coral with a plastic bottle with a 1" hole cut in the end to protect it or will that cut down too much flow and light?

Jake

Tried two local stores and no one carries the plastic baskets anymore around here...

About 1/2 is white now and the other 1/2 the flesh is loose and coming off. I am thinking about taking it out of the tank. How long should I wait? If it stays in, does it risk infecting the other LSP in the tank? RRRRRR

Last edited: