Search results

1. big_vard

Light Fixtures!

You could also try a DIY kit. There are some at this site A H Supply - Easy Ordering that are certainly worth considering, and should be in your price range. Steve
  2. big_vard

(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

Um... WOW... Literally Speechless, that is one SICK setup!
  3. big_vard

bright green water

Also, it is my understanding that this plan (canister filter) will likely cause more harm than good!! Again you'd be introducing a Nitrate factory to your system. As far as filtration is concerned you want to focus (as has been said before) on LOTS of live rock and a GOOD skimmer. Steve
  4. big_vard

Acrylic splash guard

Ok, still thinking about this... what if I used a glass shield? The thinking is, I would like to build my own canopy, but was wondering if I used a glass shield to seperate my lights from the water, would I be able to use cheaper non-water resistant end caps for my fluorescent lights? I...
  5. big_vard

Possible Lighting Option..

Hey folks, I am looking to build myself a canopy for my 20 gallon and was considering using the following for ballast/endcaps for my fluorescent lights. They are very reasonable in price (60-70$) and seem simple and easy. Exoterra products - Light Units Thoughts? Steve
  6. big_vard

Away for 1 month

Yes they are very responsible, just not knowledgeable LOL. I'll teach them what I can... just worried, as I am finally seeing my setup getting into a nice groove with happy inhabitants :) Thanks for the input. Steve
  7. big_vard

Away for 1 month

Interesting thoughts. My dad has an established aquarium, but the hastle of driving 2 hrs and moving the livestock might not be worth it, especially considering the stress to the fish. I was thinking: 1. Big water change a few days before I leave, and another one when I get back. 2...
  8. big_vard

Away for 1 month

Hey folks, I am going to be away from home for 1 month. I have housemates who can look after my tank, but they literally know NOTHING about saltwater. I could potentially move my livestock to my dad's tank for that time, but would prefer not to. I currently am running a 20g with HOB...
  9. big_vard

Pics of my tank

Yeah, A few thoughts (mostly repeating what's been said already), but as someone who's currently working to turn a killer tank into a successful one I know exactly what you are going through. So here are a few comments: 1. MORE LIVE ROCK, as people said already, this is KEY for bio...
  10. big_vard

My DIY "HOB" Refugium/Skimmer

Thanks for the comments guys, it was a fun project! Oh, and no bandaids required! Steve
  11. big_vard

My DIY "HOB" Refugium/Skimmer

So here goes... Over the past couple months, after finding this amazing site, and the wealth of knowledge here I've been making strides to improve my 20 gallon nano reef. One of the first things I realized was that my "skilter" wasn't going to cut it as a skimmer, and that I could really use...
  12. DIY Refugium

DIY Refugium

13. DIY Refugium

DIY Refugium

14. DIY Refugium

DIY Refugium

15. DIY Refugium

DIY Refugium

16. DIY Refugium

DIY Refugium

17. DIY Refugium

DIY Refugium