Pics of my tank

It seems your ok on the test results, that .25 really shouldnt be a concern. I would have to go with Icstorc on adding more LR befor adding anything else. Also this is just a suggestion so your wallet doesnt go empty to quick, this mite not be your best interest In fish but going with a damsel could be a good starter fish. Damsels can tolerate a wide range of water parameters, the other fish you stocked befor are less tolerant to the new tank syndrom. As soon as your tank Is a little more established you should see no problems on adding the stock you want. O ya my first fish was a clown also and guess what he didnt make through the night also.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Sorry, how did I miss that! Anyway, your tank is too new for addition of Scotter blennies, they are obligate pod eaters, but that is probably not what killed them so soon after getting them. IMO there is not enough, mature LR in this tank. It's going to take more time for your tank to mature using base rock than if you used all LR.

kimoy

the water readings are ok. i agree that you need more LR in there. one other question i have is where do you get your water for the tank? that could be the problem.

big_vard

Yeah, A few thoughts (mostly repeating what's been said already), but as someone who's currently working to turn a killer tank into a successful one I know exactly what you are going through. So here are a few comments:

1. MORE LIVE ROCK, as people said already, this is KEY for bio filtration. I'd add a bunch of "cured" rock if I was you. Also, after adding the rock, I'd monitor your water chemistry (specifically Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) every day, as you may get a mini-cycle when adding new rock.

2. Once you have some more rock, and you have stable water chemistry readings you can start (slowly) adding a few hardy fish. Damsels are super hardy (and cheap), though they can be mean buggers. Perhaps try a clown fish or a damsel first. Don't rush to stock the aquarium, make sure any new fish has settled in for some time (i'd say at least a month) before adding anything else.

3. Your skimmer and powerhead situation sounds ok.

4. Make sure you are using RO/DI water for water changes and top-ups. Also, what are you feeding? Flake foods are not great, perhaps someone else has thoughts on feeding as I am not an expert here...

5. Finally, that sump sounds like it could use some renovations. Bioballs are considered by many to be nitrate (nitrite?) factories, and are generally avoided. You'd be best off turning that sump into a refugium, and ditching the bio-balls altogether. (Anyone have more experience on this to help out?).

Anyway, those are just some thoughts from someone who is going through a similar process as you.

Cheers, hope this helps.

Steve

michael_cb_125

I had the same problem on my fifty gallon tank when I first got it. Everything was going good for a while then overnight everything went wrong. My Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph and everything were fine. It turned out that I was using bad well water. Our well water has very high levels of copper in it. My point is,that you should check the water you are using. Good saltwater starts with good fresh water. I also agree with everyone on the Live Rock. RO/DI water is super important.

Let me just ad some input on the water, I know a RODI unit can be costly, so you can do a couple of things.

1. Ask your LFS if they sell RODI water, most do. Mine charges 2 bux for 5g.

2. Go to your local supermarket they usually have a RO fill machine there. You can purchase an empty 5g jug from the store they will chrage you what the return Is for the jug, 5 or 6 bux. I know the machine by me charges $1.50 for 5g.

3. Buy the 1 gallon jugs of RO in the store, might be more $$$ over using the fill machine but its up to you.

justsunnie

I would take out all that white base rock and replace it with live rock. Then add about 10 more lbs of live rock. Give the tank a few weeks to cycle (check levels every couple of days after the first week) until all your nitrogenous wase levels (NO2, NO3, NH3) are zero.

Then you can start adding fish.

You definately don't have enough biological filtration in that tank, and tons of live rock is the way to go.

---------------------
P.S. Then you can start worrying about all that other technical stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info I am going to start topping off with RO water have been using tap water with amquil which is what 2 LFS told me to do. I am going to get like 20 more LBS of live rock and will leave the base rock in there hope the LR will get the base rock going

rDr4g0n

Thanks for all the info I am going to start topping off with RO water have been using tap water with amquil which is what 2 LFS told me to do. I am going to get like 20 more LBS of live rock and will leave the base rock in there hope the LR will get the base rock going

i love it when people take good advice :)

its a great hobby! have fun! get poor!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
And i guess thats why when I saw the white base rocks I went hmmm, something odd not enough seed stock sure makes sense.