Acrylic splash guard

big_vard

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows if its ok to use acrylic between fluorescent lights and the surface of the water. I recall hearing somewhere that the acrylic would filter out some of the beneficial light. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks!

Steve

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
unless it was optically ground and couldnt change its shape it would have to at the very least distort the light, not to mention how quickly it would get dulled by the salt creep and cleaning, are you getting a build up? Steve

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ditto to Sasqutch. I used an acryilic shield on my Hamilton MH/PC canopy-fixture and it did get salt creep on it quickly.

big_vard

Ok, still thinking about this... what if I used a glass shield?

The thinking is, I would like to build my own canopy, but was wondering if I used a glass shield to seperate my lights from the water, would I be able to use cheaper non-water resistant end caps for my fluorescent lights?

I understand salt creep would be an issue, but assuming I keep that to a minimum, does this make sense?

Thanks!

Steve

lcstorc

I would get the water resistant ones. Anything that is going to be around water is going to get wet at some point.

SZHTTM

Steve;

I would have to agree with Lynn's prior response.

When it comes to salt water (or water in general) and electricity, safety comes first. Keep in mind that its not just the water in the tank you have to consider; but also condensation from water evaporating. The added protection of the water resistance ones is worth the extra money. In addition to safety, the water resistance ones will help keep condensation out which not only could hurt or kill you, but will keep your hardware equipment in good working condition much longer than the non-water resistance ones.

Just out of curioustity, what is the price difference between the two?

Thank You And Have Fun!!!;
:thumber: